Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This Week's Projects




This week I am trying to keep my sewing momentum going with the Sandpiper Blouse.
It is lovely fabric, but it lost some colour when I pre-washed it (dye-ing the accompanying whites a delightul shade of primrose!). That'll teach me!
The pattern is by Style and is undated. I can't seem to find any info on the web dating vintage UK patterns: all the info is about the big US companies. It is definitely post-austerity era as the central panel is entirely decorative, rather than practical, and has to be cut on the fold. I had to shorten the sleeve slightly to fit it into the remaining fabric. The pattern came complete with embroidery transfers, so if this one works out I might make the embroidered version with longer sleeves.
Tonight I will be tailor-tacking the pleats. More pleats!
Looking forward, I am feeling deeply inspired by these trousers. I have some lovely swishy navy cotton "trousering" and want to add anchor buttons for that nautical vibe.
And I am seriously considering a Liberty rose print for my Dress-for-a-Wedding, as used by Gertie in her fabulous wiggle dress. There is a more photographic rose print here, but I think I want to go the whole premium-fabric way with this project! I just need to make a muslin first...!
And I do still knit. The garter stitch baby jacket suffered from late-night-knitting syndrome and I had to rip back a sleeve. But if I just keep plugging away with a few rows every evening I should be done within the week. I've kinda lost the love for this project, cute as it is.
I really fancy rustling up some plain vanilla socks, just for the fun of it. Mmmm Lorna's Laces!

3 comments:

Susannah said...

Ooh, pretty fabric!

I'm guessing this pattern is late 1940s, maybe 1947-1950. Clothing rationing had relaxed a bit by then. It's very dainty and graceful. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

feresaknit said...

a) You're still too good with the pre-washing

b) Love the colours on Lorna's Lace

c) The red lipstick should look stunning with the rose print

d) Will you be getting a big rose tattoo too?

bagqueen said...

I liked those trousers too, they look wonderfully comfy but fabulously smart at the same time!!

Well done on finding the cottage, I hope you have a l relaxing time