Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cape style


You might have seen the latest fashion news that capes are "in"?

Stella McCartney has been showing capes for autumn / winter.

I have to admit to having a penchant for the poncho-esque. At University, I made myself a floor-length wool felt cape with a hood. I was a drama student, remember! But the fabric wasn't wind-proof and unless I wore a coat underneath, I froze, which kind of defeated the purpose. And it was very heavy!


It was my "French Lieutenant's Woman" look, exacerbated by my long red curls and wan expression. Ahem. Apparently there is talk of a remake of the film. But I digress.


I have been thinking about sewing a rather shorter capelet for the coming season. I reckon it could be a stylish alternative to a hand-knitted shawl, for the office. Possibly not suitable for Committee-wear, but hey, it might liven up proceedings!
This 1950's interpretation is rather fab, don't you think?
So much lighter and shapely. Not a hint of being wrapped up in a blanket!
Of course, I would need the wiggle dress to go with it.
Just the thing for Self-Stitched September!

2 comments:

Siga said...

Über-schick. Go for it!

Kate said...

I hope this doesn't herald the return of the knitted poncho. There is at least one very pretty cape in Victorian Lace Today, though, and if it's in fashion then maybe I could get away with it. Though maybe not the best attire for popping to Croydon. :-P