Friday, July 16, 2010

FO: Fifties Polka Dot Blouse


Well, would you believe it - I have some curves!
Seriously, folks, I am so used to being pretty much straight up and down that this 1950's silhouette comes as a bit of a shock!
The shaping is achieved with the help of shoulder pads, pairs of waist darts which go in and out again (there must be a name for these), and more darts on the shoulders.
The sleeves are double-thickness fabric, so have a certain amount of weight, which adds to their shape.
And of course, there is that cheeky peekaboo neckline with a little bow.



The back is simpler, with single waist darts, and back-buttoning.
I love these buttons! I saw them on Tilly's blog and had to have some. I wouldn't say I went all the way to Edinburgh just to buy them, but they were definitely top of my shopping list on my recent day trip!

Stats:
McCall pattern 6245 from the 1950's, size 18 (36 bust) reduced by 5 inches to fit me. It is a printed pattern with 5/8 inch seams and good clear instructions. There are even three separate pattern pieces to build your own shoulder pads - but I used modern ready-made's.
It is a good length for tucking in to a high-waisted skirt or wearing out over low-slung jeans. I actually shortened it by about an inch to fit it onto my single metre of fabric.
The fabric is a cotton seersucker, bought as a "sample" from eeebaaay for the princely sum of £2.40! They have a very similar plain white with a white polka dot at Remnant House fabrics of Harrogate at the moment - they call it a "burn out" fabric.
Buttons from Edinburgh Fabrics (no website), Nicolson Street Edinburgh. They are exactly the same size as the dots!
I used a smaller pin-dot evenweave cotton fabric to make the facings, as I thought
it would add crucial stability. No Vilene used.
Verdict?
I am very pleased with it! I like how it is a genuinely vintage style, which nevertheless goes with modern clothes like jeans.

Will I make it again? Almost certainly, though it is such a distinctive shape I need to change it around a bit next time, maybe by making the long-sleeved version for the autumn.

12 comments:

Debi said...

The blouse is STUNNING and includes four of my favorite things: 1) 40's/50's silhouette, 2) keyhole opening, 3) cool buttons and 4) POLKA DOTS!!! So fantastic!

faeriecollege said...

Wow, Roo! That is absolutely gorgeous! Good job!

Tasia said...

Soooo cute! I love how uniquely-shaped the keyhole neckline is, and of course I love the polka dots.

Sandy said...

Clever, clever girl with the curves!! Looks quite charming on you and looks like you've found the pattern to make the most of your attributes - bet FL likes it too!

didyoumakethat said...

Oh my GOD. That is amazingly gorgeous! I love your va-va-voom curves and that polka dots. And the buttons. That is a huge success.

feresaknit said...

I think FL may have to go for his blood pressure checked! Gorgeous, and the blouse looks good too! ;D

Susie Hemingway said...

This is just fabulous I love it, it's lush as they say! Just so perfect for you.

tea and cake said...

This is YOUR look and pattern, and fits you so well!

Fiona said...

Wow, I love it! It definitely suits you so much. Fantastic!

Cecelia said...

Beautiful! Very sexy...:)

Ghislaine said...

So very gorgrous!

jenibrown said...

That's beautiful! Jealous...