Monday, July 26, 2010

Sencha plans


I was lucky enough to win a copy of the Sencha blouse pattern from Karen in a blog-comment contest - woo hoo!

My two recent forays into vintage-pattern blouse making, the Sandpiper and the Polka Dot, were both inspired by the Sencha, but so many sew-ists seemed to have problems with the fit of this blouse that I was wary of it.

But now that I have a copy of my very own, it would be churlish not to give it a whirl!

I want to make version 2, which has those interesting diagonal pleats at the neck. I have half a plan to cut out a heart shape between the pleats, as a cheesy peekaboo feature... but that might be a bit much!

The stated fabric requirements are clearly over-generous. A sleeveless blouse cannot possibly take 1 7/8 yards of material! However, since so much fabric is sold by the half-metre these days, (over the internet at least) I will probably have to go for 1.5 metres, even though a metre would almost be enough.

I am thinking of voile. It needs to be light and drapey. What a great excuse to buy something from Anna Maria Horner's "Little Folks" collection! I can't decide which of these to buy.
It is almost pay day. Maybe I should buy them both!
Even though my daughter thinks one is dingy and hippyish and the other looks like curtains!
It is hard work living with the fashion police.





2 comments:

didyoumakethat said...

Wheee! Glad to see the pattern arrived safely. I can't wait to see what you do with it. Oh, those fashion police - they're so strict.

tea and cake said...

I love the pink - but, I'm usually wrong. Go with your instinct, it is often the first choice which is best.