Monday, August 16, 2010

A day at Knit Camp

On Saturday I took the train to Stirling, to the UK Knit Camp. I have to say I was worried I would get there and discover I was alone, because there had been so many rumours on Ravelry that the event had descended into chaos following a mix-up over work permits for visiting tutors from overseas. But all was mostly well.
The event was a lot quieter than you might have expected, and people seemed to be wandering into classes without having paid or registered, which must have p-ed off the tutors and organisers... but I really enjoyed a talk on Ethnic Lace Knitting by Nancy Bush, Liz Lovick and Donna Druchunas, and a brilliant class entitled "Introduction to Japanese Knitting", again with Donna.

This is Nancy Bush with an Estonian shawl.

In the Marketplace, I met Karie (hello!) and Kate and Lilith, but was too shy to say hello to Annie Modesitt or Woolly Wormhead. I did get a big hug from Natalie of the Yarn Yard though!
L to R: Karie, Kate and Lilith
I also asked a distinguished-looking lady for directions to the Ethnic Lace talk... and of course it turned out to be Nancy Bush herself.
I was mortified. I have three of her books and I didn't recognise her. Fool.
I was very controlled in my purchasing and came away with only two skeins of Old Maiden Aunt sock yarn - it is beautiful!
Top to bottom: Derelict Daughter and Bluebells
It was the first time I had been to such a gathering of knitters and it was quite overwhelming. I am definitely feeling inspired to finish my Percy shawl and move on to other projects - especially trying out a Japanese pattern or some Estonian lace.
Verdict? A fabulous day out! :)

5 comments:

feresaknit said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I saw that on Modeknit blog but thought it was maybe a bit late to sort out going and then I forgot (which isn't hard at the moment - now I know why a friend is so terrified of getting alzheimers - of course it's only a pain if I remember that I forgot). We passed within sight of the Wallace momument on Saturday too! ;(

feresaknit said...

Oh, I'm so jealous! I saw that on Modeknit blog but thought it was maybe a bit late to sort out going and then I forgot (which isn't hard at the moment - now I know why a friend is so terrified of getting alzheimers - of course it's only a pain if I remember that I forgot). We passed within sight of the Wallace momument on Saturday too! ;(

natalie said...

Hee hee. You are not alone.
I stepped into the lift at Knit Nation and asked if anyone knew where the NB class was and she replied, "follow me, I'm teaching it!".
Great to see you too.

Debi said...

I'm bummed that I was out of the country when Knit Camp took place--since it's so close to where I live!! But it sounds like it was interesting!

Karie B. said...

It was really good meeting you too (hello!). I still have those vintage patterns, you know..