Tuesday, August 31, 2010

SSS: The Inventory

Remind me why I am doing this?

Self-Stitched September:

'I, Roobeedoo, sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-September. I endeavour to wear only handmade item(s) of clothing every day for the duration of September 2010'.

Yeah, right, well ... it just isn't possible unless I am willing to go to work looking like I got dressed in the dark. So I am going to have to amend my pledge:

'I, Roobeedoo, sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-September. I endeavour to wear mainly handmade item(s) of clothing every day for the duration of September 2010'.


Because when I hauled out my entire collection of me-made clothing several things became clear:

1 - I sew summer clothes
2 - I knit scarves and shawls and socks
3 - I have no warm long-sleeved tops
4 - I should not have machine-washed my woollen skirts before I put them away for the summer.

So in order for this month to be a celebration of the hand-made rather than an opportunity for career suicide, please expect to see some shop-bought items appearing in the mix.

I hope to remain upbeat, positive and even excited by self-stitchery... so will allow myself to note the gaps, and see what I can do to fill them without wringing my hands and self-flagellating.

P.S. See the top left corner of my list? I do not own a whole* pair of hand-knitted fingerless gloves. How can this be? Must rectify that situation asap!

* Um... I do own two holey pairs...

2 comments:

Debi said...

YAY! Can't wait to see your stuff!

christinelaennec said...

Hi Roobeedoo,
What an interesting blog you have! (And ta for your comment on mine, I've replied below.) I used to make pretty much all my own clothes except for shoes and underwear, out of necessity, and I have to say the result was not always far off your "getting dressed in the dark"! But I love wearing things that I've designed and made - the ones that turn out okay that is. I look forward to hearing / seeing more about your me-made September.

I also completely agree about school uniforms being a total minefield. I was literally slashing the underarms of my daughter's school blouse (with her inside) five minutes before we left the house on the first day of high school, as they had suddenly become unbearably tight. And I won't even begin to describe the quandaries of tying the tie so it's not too geekie and not too cool!

I wish you and your family a succession of Very Good Days.