Sunday, August 15, 2010

Wedding of the Year


After all those preparations, my work-friend's wedding day whizzed by. It was 10pm before the band struck up for the first dance, and FL and I sneaked out of the door before we turned back into fieldmice.

My vintage dress was a success, not least because it was the only one remotely like it. I felt so sorry for the three ladies who turned up in the same dress and felt the need to avoid each other all day. There was another dress which appeared three times, but in different colours, which was really interesting. If it had been my wedding I would have liked to get a picture of them all together... but perhaps the ladies concerned lacked sufficient humour for that.



So here we are, in all our splendour. Doesn't FL scrub up well?! Though the suit jacket was a bit long...
I wore my mother's crochet gloves from the 50's, and my granny's bakelite beads. My fabulous Irregular Choice shoes were a big hit!
"But hang on a minute, Roo, I thought you were knitting a red shawl to wear to the wedding...?"
Nupps to you! That's all I have to say on that subject! I am six rows from the end. Six rows!!! But as my daughter noted, my Shetland Lace Triangle was a good match for the dress.




You want to see the bride don't you? Her mother made the dress using a Marfy pattern. It took three muslins to get it right. It has an asymmetrical layer of silvery lace on the bodice and a sequinned trim round the neck. That rose corsage at the waist was beautiful! And it had a train which she pinned up later for dancing.

The bride's mother also made the bridesmaids' dresses... AND the groom's KILT!?! I am in awe.

The groom's mother knitted the kilt hose (long socks) for both the groom and the best man. She did both pairs in three weeks!

It was a very stylish wedding indeed!

11 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

Great pics :0)

bizzilizzi said...

you certainly have style - the dress is lovely - as is the bride's - her flowers are beautiful too!

Kate said...

You look gorgeous. :-) I am coveting your shoes especially!

Sandy said...

Oh-gasp! You two are so posh in your duds! Thanks for letting have a snippet of the event... you did a super job of pulling it all together and I'll bet FL was the envy of more than a few gents, having you on his arm.

mooncalf said...

Wow - totally posh in every way. Everything looks beautiful and beautifully made. Stunning!

RooKnits said...

Everything is just gorgeous.

sulkycat said...

what a lovely photo of the two of you

Susie Hemingway said...

You looked really stunning in your beautiful dress and FL very handsome in his Oh! so smart suit.
I love your gloves and always think they add just that little bit of extra glamour. So pleased you had a good time. How very pretty was the wedding dress, I have enjoyed these photos. Stay well both.x

Lorna said...

You and FL both scrub up well. Mike and I were discussing just how very healthy FL looks in the pic..... has he got a painting in the attic?

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you everyone! Yes - FL is looking really well. Long may it continue! A "shop" haircut also helps...!

Roisin Muldoon said...

You both look gorgeous - I love the way the contrast between the shoes and the dress makes both colours pop.