Friday, September 24, 2010

September by the Sea?

I am in the mood for instant gratification. I have a capelet and two blouses “queued” but find myself sidetracked by an insane desire for a 1970’s-pattern tunic top for weekend wear.


I blame Ms Scruffybadger for this. I saw her Brighton Rocks dress and was smitten – tsk!


So here we are, edging towards the end of September, and I am planning a (sewing) trip to the seaside – yay! Still just a big kid at heart!


My plan is to make this zip-fronted tunic in that mad, bad and dangerous Brighton pavilion print turquoise cotton. To wear with jeans, or possibly (gasp!) leggings, with a layer of thermal vestage (naturally!)


Leggings and I had a major falling-out when I was pregnant with my son (so that was 18 years ago...). They were so wonderfully comfy that I wore them all the time with massive lumberjack shirts... until the day one of my colleagues at work remarked upon the bagginess of my knees, and how she hoped I would be able to lose all that pregnancy flab, or wouldn't it be awful? Sob!!!

All these years later and I have studiously avoided any further knee-revelations. My 1940's tea dress is my first flirtation with the above-joint-genre in almost two decades! And I am seeing other self-stitchers wearing leggings with their self-stitched skirts and looking mighty fine! Karen - I am looking at you!


Ooooh - I really fancy snuggling up in front of the fire this autumn in a funky tunic top, woolly jumper and some cosy cosy leggings and handknitted socks - mmmm!


Best get stitching then....

7 comments:

mooncalf said...

When leggings came back in I swore I would never ever wear them. The 80s! The horror! The horror!

But it seems they've improved lycra in some fancy way in the last 20 or so years. No bagginess, no slipping down, no tight elastic, no shininess... Now I love my leggings.

Except calf-length leggings. They're still cast into the outer darkness...

Scruffybadger said...

Ooo Roobeedoo - I can't wait to see your seaside tunic!! Me & leggings have also only just become reacquainted - but I think they work even not being a teenager or pregnant - & you are right - so much more cosy than tights...

christinelaennec said...

What an idiotic thing to say, that your KNEES were suffering from post-pregnancy flab!!!

I wish you lots of cosy winter afternoons in the front of the fire, wearing whatever makes you happy.

jessica said...

Roobeedoo, I think I have found a bit of a style-doppelganger in you! Loving your SSS outfits, and a big fat YES to following the inspiration to the 70s pattern. Totally with you on the leggings, I believe I went so far as to swear them off on the blog before giving in a couple years and admitting they are great at stretching the season versatility of dresses and skirts!

didyoumakethat said...

I can't believe some silly lady's comments mean we've been denied glimpses of your knees for the past xx years. I wish people would think about what they're saying sometimes. Come on, you can go above knee. Actually, it's only recently that I've started allowing hem lines to rise above the knee. I haven't keeled over yet! You'd look great in that tunic and leggings. Can't wait to see it.

Roobeedoo said...

Jessica - I am flattered to be your style twin! Woo hoo!

And as for leggings - I have a pair on order. "I can always send them back"...!

Cecelia said...

How cool--I just got a similar pattern on ebay, thinking the same thing about leggings and even a turtleneck for winter. I have a denim-ish cotton set aside for it. Looking forward to seeing yours! (Critics be damned)