Thursday, September 02, 2010

Sewing in September


So, not content with actually wearing my me-made clothes, I am cooking up plans to stitch some more!
I cut out my capelet. But I am waiting for lining and buttons, so I have stalled.
And I have cut out a blouse. It is Simplicity 2501 again.
This time, I decided to brave the super-puffy sleeve after watching an old episode of Project Runway and seeing Kenley rock a plaid version of this style.

NO!!! I don't mean her puffball collaboration with Wesley... I mean the blouse she was wearing herself... oh dear, let's just move on...
The fabric was left over from making my daughter's 13th-birthday dress. You can't really see it in those pictures, but the cotton alternates stripes of dobby dots and ladder-stitch openwork.

This still doesn't address my lack of long-sleeved tops. I ordered some lovely stripey jersey knit fabric, but when the shop went to cut it they found a flaw, so my order was cancelled. Meantime, I had printed out and prepared the Leg of Mutton Sleeve pattern by JJ (free over at Burda Style). I am not sure what I was thinking... why is my eye drawn back to the Kenley/Wesley dress again?! So perhaps this was a lucky escape.
With long-sleeved tops in mind, I was seduced by a series of "Make Me An Offer" deals over at eeebaaay.
One of my favourite sellers, Little Shop of Treasures, is having a clearance and she really will accept all reasonable offers. On their way to me I have shirt-lengths of: deep plum cotton poplin, warm brushed cotton tartan and a sophisticated Liberty Tana lawn , all for the price of one Boden blouse*. Ahem.
And I fell for this 1970's pattern over at Etsy (only £2.63 !). I never imagined I would want a spaniel-ear collar blouse in my adult life! I still shudder at the memory of the bright pink polyester satin version my mother made me wear when I was about 8.
But imagine this style in any one of the fabrics I just purchased...? See where I am coming from? Hush, daughter, hush!

*P.S. Have you seen that Boden has a very Sencha-like blouse this season? Are clothing manufacturers watching what home-sewers are making and copying it...? Now there's an interesting thought!

No comments: