Monday, September 13, 2010

SSS Day 12, A Departure and an FO


So here we have it: The Boy left home on Sunday to go to University.

Recent mothers take note: this time comes round far faster than you would ever believe!


No sooner are they out of nappies, than they grow a full head of dreadlocks, tower above you and call you "Titch". Charming!



As it was my last chance for a while to embarrass him in public , I ramped up the self-stitchery ; )

Day 12
Self-stitched:
Blue Bella trousers, blogged here
Polka-dot back-buttoned blouse, blogged here
Knickers, as before
Socks, as yesterday
Gap: The cardigan... this is my new one from Boden. My excuse is that it will let me wear lots of self-stitched garments that would otherwise not go with much / not be warm enough. meantime I will knit Audrey in Unst. Honest!

The FO:
I could not send my son away without a new pair of socks!
It's the Freshman pattern from Knitscene Fall 2009, in Regia self-striping, bought from Kemps when they were practically giving it away.
I love this pattern: simple, fun and a real sense of progress as you knit up the spirals.
And 72 stitches on 2.5mm was wide enough for my Boy - hooray!


I let them be mis-matched. It suits his personality!
So there we have it. My First Born has left home.
Crikey.

11 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, I'm well aware that time goes far too fast. My eldest is now in year 8 and is a whisker away from being as tall as me (and I'm 5'8"). I can see university looming far too close on the horizon. :-(

didyoumakethat said...

What a handsome young man! His freshman socks are just what he needs. The girls in halls will be drooling over them. Hope you're not feeling TOO sad.

feresaknit said...

I love the 'Oh Mum I can't believe your making me have my picture taken' look - which may have been followed by the 'You realise you will have to let go so I can get in the car' look!

My nephew goes in October - his girlfriend works weekends - so I asked about her visiting/staying over - 'Oh, yeah, she'll sleep on the floor.' - RIGHT - 'I meant is she allowed to stay in the accommodation?' ;D

John said...

My boys are 28 & 30, so your son's recent passage brings back memories. I love the socks and the mis-matched personality.

Twelfthknit said...

I only cried for a month when Baby Bear left home..

Sigrid said...

This day is not so far off for me-- hope my son goes off to college with socks that hot.

P.S. I think it's good to have a lot of cardigans to layer over whatever you have made.

christinelaennec said...

I hope you're not feeling too bereft and/or funny with your First Born away to uni. And I hope he's settling in okay.

I was waiting for you to write: "And here's something I made earlier!" But I guess the thing about children is that in so many ways, we don't "make" them at all.

Love the socks! Oh and your own outfit too -

Susie Hemingway said...

What a wonderfully handsome son with his new special socks I do hope he washes those carefully, although I can remember well all the washing of my two, something I really don't miss now. I wish him much success in all he chooses to do and hope and pray you don't miss him too painfully. One down, one to go!
"turn around, turn around and they are grown"

tea and cake said...

I remember feeling that I'd lost an arm when my first born left - to join the army, no less! My reaction was to begin an obsession with buying bed-linen - nestbuilding (?) I guess. But, he's 34 with his own family now.
Good luck to your son, sans socks!
And, your outfit is lovely, and I don't blame you for the cardi - you can never have enough cardis. x

Roobeedoo said...

Thanks for all your comments! I haven't cried... yet! That will happen when he comes home for Christmas with only one sock, and it shrunken to half-size! I actually thought about calling the post "Two FOs" - but he is definitely still a work in progress, and the rest of the creation is up to himself - eek!

didyoumakethat said...

I have nominated you for a Beautiful Blogger Award. See here for details: http://didyoumakethat.wordpress.com/2010/09/14/beautiful-blog-award/