Wednesday, September 01, 2010

SSS: Day One

Today's challenge: construction project management meeting

Dress code: one of the lads, but in touch with my feminine side

Attitude / Inspiration: Mattie Ross from True Grit, the old John Wayne film.

Did you know the Coen brothers have just done a re-make of the best Western ever? I just found the audition summary for my character:

"Fourteen year old Mattie is a simple, tough as nails, young woman. Her steely nerves and straightforward manner are a shocking contrast to the way women behaved in the early century. She's possessed of true grit and plenty of determination. Enough so, that she insists on going with two marshals to hunt down the killer of her father. We are looking for a Caucasian girl who's tough, strong and tells it like it is. We are open to all looks! "

Today I am Mattie Ross. Don't mess with me... even if I am "just a slip of a girl".

Self-Stitched:

Pink Gingham blouse from a 1940's teen pattern, blogged here.

Black cotton jacket, Japanese pattern, blogged here.

Knickers, blogged here.

The Gaps?:

The blouse is too short, so these trousers (La Redoute) are the only garment I own that even meets the hem... and it still pops out of the waistband.

To cover my embarrassment, a plain black wrapover cardigan.

The solutions?

I am seriously considering lengthening the blouse using the instructions in a "Make Do and Mend" booklet from WWII, found somewhere on the web (I will post the link if I can find it again).

I know I need to knit a cardigan or three.

Conclusion?:

A reasonable start to Self-Stitched September, including wearing one of my most "difficult" garments - woo hoo!

Editor's note: By the way, I can't guarantee to blog every day, so I intend to compile "omnibus" posts of a few days' outfits at a time from now on. That way, I still get to blog about other things besides my own vanity!

4 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

No! No! La la la la !!How can there EVER be a remake of True Grit? I will NOT believe it. La la la la!

Steph said...

Don't think of it as vanity, but inspiration.

The 4 Bushel Farmgal said...

I like the suit, very professional looking.

I like the idea of posting every few days, so we can get to other topics, too!

Have fun with SSS! I'll be stopping by often!

feresaknit said...

ohhhhh, very professional looking!

May I ask what you are doing for night time attire?