Thursday, September 30, 2010

SSS: Over and Out (days 27 to 30)

Self-stitched September: the final countdown...

Day 27:
Self-stitched: Mulled Wine socks. That's all.
Seriously?! Yes - I had a day off and spent it sewing, knitting and dog-walking. What I wore was not important to me. The rest was shop-bought, knickers and all.
Day 28:
Challenges: FL's hospital appointment in super-heated ARI, then back to ice-box office. Too dark for a photo this morning so had to have a self-timer experiment at my desk at lunchtime - eek!
Attitude / Inspiration: Layer it up, peel it off, layer it up again. In autumnal palette!
Self-stitched:
Aubergine wool New Look 6190 trousers, blogged here
Purple dobby dot blouse, blogged here
Aestlight shawl, blogged here
Knickers, blogged here
Gaps:
Thermal vest, cardigan: the usual!
Solutions: I am 25% up my Audrey in Unst cardigan - woo hoo! But will it be warm enough...?!
Conclusion: Even if this was not SSS, I would probably have worn this outfit today, which says a lot about how SSS has led me to a deeper acceptance of my self-stitched wardrobe. I am a stitcher... and proud of it!

Day 29:
Challenges: Cold, dark, rainy. Still no heating. Not even enough daylight in the morning for a photo. SAD!
Inspiration / Attitude: As grey as the weather!
Self-stitched:
Charcoal wool trousers, New Look 6190, blogged here
Ishbel shawl, blogged here
Knickers, as before
Gaps: Thermal vest, long-sleeved t, cardigan, armwarmers, extra-long socks, coat
Solutions: I just kept adding layers today . Even the thermal vest had long sleeves! I don't think I could have kept warm in self-stitched clothes alone - not without a major attack of sewing and knitting fever!
Conclusion: I am not sure that these trousers survived their dip in the washing machine before they went away for the summer - they are looking a bit wrinkley and may have to be retired. Ishbel always surprises me. She looks so drab lying in the drawer, yet once I am wearing her she seems to be full of subtle storm greys and blues - and is wonderfully cosy!
Day 30:
Challenges: Last day of SSS and coffee date with another knitter (woo hoo!)
Attitude / Inspiration:I was so warm and comfortable yesterday that I wore exactly the same again - but with fresh knickers, honest mum!
Self-stitched: As Day 29
Gaps: As Day 29
Solutions: As Day 29
Conclusion:
As inspiring as it has been, SSS is now over and out and all I want (for Christmas?!) is warm clothing! I was getting so cold towards the end of last week that I was in actual physical pain with the Raynaud's in my fingers.
When I made the discovery that a long-sleeved thermal vest, a long-sleeved t shirt, a cardigan and a shawl could actually make it comfortable enough to sit at my desk without clutching a mug of hot tea in my claw-like, white-fingered hands, vanity went right out of the window!

4 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

I love your colours - the greys & blues, but especially the aubergine with blue & that amazing shawl (all your shawls in fact!) You know I need to learn to knit now!

Where the nodding violets grow said...

I have really enjoyed following your SSS. Thank you for sharing it.

christinelaennec said...

Yes, beautiful colours! I love both the shawls - hadn't seen Aestlight before.

Congratulations on a whole month of (mostly) self-stitched garments! I have great admiration and take my (self-stitched) hat off to you. I'm also looking forward to some posts with you looking WARM this winter!

feresaknit said...

Is that a sign of age that your fashion preference is warm?!?!?!

I too am being troubled with Raynauds. I used to get it occasionally but it's now more apparent even in the house! And it happens not when its REALLY cold but just cold!