Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Another Wedding Outfit?

Forgive me for being a grumpy old woman about this, but FL and I have been invited to another wedding. Sigh!

I really thought I had reached an age where my peers were finished with marriage and were having divorce parties instead. (Sorry! But you know it's true!)

But no, a couple of FL's golfing friends have decided the time is right and have invited us to attend their nuptials in November. Which would be fine... except they have also announced a tartan theme!



So I need something new to wear. In tartan. So help me!



I have that lovely blackwatch brushed cotton in the stash. I am wondering if I could get away with a 50's style blouse using the va-va-voom pattern, but with long sleeves, pairing it with a petrol-blue satin skirt?

I happened to buy the satin from Croft Mill a while back, thinking I would make a slinky sleeveless top... but it turned out to be a rather stiff fabric, completely unsuited to blouse-making.
  • Would it work as a bubble skirt?
  • Would a bubble skirt work with a 50's style blouse?
  • Or should I go for a circle-style skirt?
  • Would the resulting outfit work for a wedding?

I am not going to ask for your advice on shoes. I am wearing my red Irregular Choice rose shoes again, no matter what!

The sewing queue has just been thrown out of the window. Again.

8 comments:

Siga said...

I love those shoes. Funny, just yesterday I was in the Irregular Choice store in London. I've got my eyes on a pair as well.

christinelaennec said...

Thanks for the laugh, Roobeedoo! When was it you said you got married again? You were just ahead of the wave, obviously.

My thoughts, for what they're worth, re. your proposed wedding guest outfit:

- I really like the idea of tartan blouse with petrol blue satin skirt;
- The va-va-voom pattern is lovely on you; my Home Ec teacher would probably protest at the idea of using tartan with obviously darts, but then I see that Toast is marketing tartan skirts with the new *deliberately mismatched* tartan effect, so that means all is now allowed;
- I think a bubble skirt would be a good match for the blouse. Will you have enough though, if you bought the material originally for a sleeveless top?

- I LOVE the shoes!!!

didyoumakethat said...

Oh no! Are you on the second round of weddings ie after the divorce and on to marriage number 2? I'm afraid I am one of those souls who hates weddings with almost every fibre of my being and with a few rare exceptions for people I REALLY love. That's a great pattern and I can see you in it. I'm not sure bubble skirt and 50s blouse would work. They're from quite different eras, aren't they? I was reading Grazia this afternoon and apparently kilts are back in for women. Or is that too much for you to bear/consider? A plain grey kilt skirt with a 50s blouse? Dunno. Just thinking out loud.

Roisin Muldoon said...

I hate when you have to dress to a theme. But I love the idea of pairing those rose shoes with electric blue - gorgeous!

Roobeedoo said...

Yes it is definitely Round Two - wouldn't you think people would stop at one marriage? ;)
I hadn't thought through the dart factor - thanks Christine!
I am just too mean to buy more fabric... maybe I can get away with a tartan corsage?!

Roisin Muldoon said...

Yes! I think a tartan corsage would probably be acceptable. Or a tartan wrap, maybe? You mustn't mind me, there's just something in me that rebels strongly against themed anything :)

Scruffybadger said...

I love that blouse pattern on you too - the neck opening is bee-yut-eeful. To continue from the last comment I'm afraid I'm turning it all flippant (must be because I'm now in weekend mode) - how about knitting a tartan shawl???!!

Sandy said...

I'm all for a tartan shawl with a tartan that has a lovely cornflower blue bit in it and maybe some yellows and red (for the shoes)... do share your decisions...