Sunday, October 10, 2010

Audrey in Brighton? With a dash of tartan.

Wow! I received so many interesting comments on my last post on wardrobe-editing. Thanks everyone!
Do go back and read what people said!

I filled two bin bags the other night: one is full of my summer clothes and has gone into the storage drawer until the sun shines again; and the other is on its way to the charity shop. There were a few items which caused hesitation. If they were summery, I let them stay (out of sight is out of mind - I'll decide next year!) but if they were wintery, I let them go. Gulp.
The pared-down wardrobe echoes with the jingle of ghostly coathangers.
But I refuse to worry about it. I won't go naked.

Meanwhile, I am plugging away with Audrey-in-Unst. It's a bit of a slog, but I can manage a few rows even when I am half-asleep, so progress is slow but steady.

I knitted the left front last night. I really like the lace "bib". It makes all those hours of stocking stitch feel worthwhile!
I haven't touched the armwarmers since FL's hospital appointment.
I have decided not to let myself be hijacked by the tartan-themed wedding. I might just make a tartan corsage. Or a clutch bag. Or a stole?

Or buy a pair of mad tartan shoes and then wear them to work afterwards, heh heh heh!

Shoes by TUK - so tempting!


But I am definitely not wasting good sewing time working on something I don't actually want / like.


So this weekend I am sewing up my Brighton Pavilions tunic. Just the thing for a cold foggy day!
It is a much more fitted garment than I expected. See the shape of that raglan sleeve with its shoulder dart?
It has a definite curve to the centre back seam, and the side seams are nipped in at the waist. This is not the kind of tunic shape I am used to from Japanese pattern books.
I hope it fits... I have done nothing to check.

5 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

I agree! Only sew something that interests you otherwise it'll feel like a chore & you'll probably never truly love it.
Really looking forward to seeing Brighton Pavillions being made up ... interesting pattern details!

christinelaennec said...

Audrey in Unst is looking gorgeous - though I did a bit of a double-take when I read: "I knitted the left front last night". Wow, you must be a quick knitter. The lacy effect is really beautiful, as is the wool.

And - I would definitely recommend the tartan shoes for work!

As for the Brighton Pavilions tunic, I think you look lovely in more figure-fitting things. Just leave room for the thermal vest!

Roobeedoo said...

Oops! I ought to have made it clear that Audrey is knitted in one piece to the underarm... and the bit I knitted in one evening is therefore only from the underarm to the shoulder and includes a long stretch of 18-stitch rows. NOT so fast really!

RooKnits said...

Audrey is gorgeous. Love the yarn...

kristenmakes said...

The colour on your Audrey is gorgeous! I think all of us SSS-ers are re-thinking our wardrobe. I was astonished by how easy it was to get through a month without wearing the majority of my wardrobe.