Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Home from Callakille


FL and I have just returned from a few too-short days in Callakille, my most-favourite holiday cottage on the planet.

We last went there two-and-a-half years ago and if anything it is even lovelier now, with new windows downstairs giving views to Skye / Raasay / Rona.

It was a very very quiet holiday. FL was not feeling up to long hikes in the wilderness, so we pottered about on the seashore, returning to home-brewed soup and bread.

We ate out at the Applecross Inn on a couple of occasions - delicious!

I knitted: Audrey-in-Unst. I had hoped to finish the cardigan on this holiday, but I forgot my dpns for the sleeves.

So I read: "Old School" by Tobias Wolff, which is the October choice of Emily Johnson's book group. Not at all the sort of book I would have come upon by idle shelf-browsing, I was engrossed. Does great literature come from experience or imagination? If, say, Hemingway read your work, what would he make of it? The evocation of an elite American boys school of the 1950's is utterly convincing - though what do I know about such a place? Read it for yourself!
It was also a surprisingly successful wool-gathering trip. Every other time I have been to the West Coast, all the little craft stalls / shops have been firmly closed.
But I was delighted to find Angora Ecosse near Sheildaig was open, and bought a pair of hand-knitted fair-isle gloves as well as 100g of handspun shetland laceweight - mmmm!

This is destined to become a shawl - perhaps another Aestlight.
And on the drive home, I was even more astonished to find the tiny Croft Wools was open for business and bought a big cuddley skein of grey Gotland handspun double-knitting, which I am saving for when Gudrun Johnston's new pattern Shalder comes out in pdf.
So all in all, a wonderful relaxing break, far away from mobile phone signals or internet access - bliss!
Tonight, The Girl flies home from a decision-making trip to London.
I am back to work tomorrow.
It's OK - it will soon be the weekend!


9 comments:

Katherine said...

Is that the one that's owned by the woman who runs Papa Stour? Looks as though it might be.

Steven L. Ritter said...

Ya... Sounds like a wonderful vacation... I wish you could come here and see Mt. Lassen, Mt. Shasta and the pacific coast above Eureka Ca. All breathtaking. I ride my bicycle with the views and I now take them less for granted... MM will do that to you...

Steven

christinelaennec said...

Looks like you had the perfect time away!

Some Chilean Woman said...

Seriously jealous, that would be the ideal holiday for me! How romantic.

Debi said...

Oh! It looks absolutely wonderful! I must go there sometime!

RooKnits said...

Glad you had a wonderful time. Love the pockets on Shalder.

Roobeedoo said...

Thanks everyone! Yes, Katherine - it is the holiday cottage belonging to the owners of Papa Stour, but not at all "precious"!

CCK said...

So pleased you enjoyed your time away. Lovely place, that..

Scruffybadger said...

My kind of dream holiday - it sounds like you have had a true break. And fame for your stinky (he's lovely!)- I bet he loved it too