Monday, October 25, 2010

Shaking Things Up

OK - that's enough of that, Roobeedoo! Pull yourself together, girl, and seize that dastardly carp!

Photo credit: Etsy seller linked below.


After a bit of a mopey weekend of failing to progress my blackwatch 50's top beyond the tailor-tacking stage, I gave myself a mental shake and came up with a contingency plan for the tartan wedding.


My first idea was to get some sort of a hair-piece. I am utterly besotted by this.

Yes, that is what you think it is: a mini tartan top hat with a stuffed crow nesting in the crown. I was thinking of wearing it with my wedding coat (floor-length midnight blue, corset-laced velvet if you didn't know me then!) and a cream lace jabot scarf. Sadly, my dear FL did not get the concept. And I had to remember that these getting-married people are his friends and he has to look them in the eye again. And this is rural Aberdeenshire, not the South-of-trendy-England!

So I reined myself in. And took a deep breath. And ordered some red tartan tights and a matching giant tartan bow hair-clip. Heh heh heh. Subversive enough to keep me feeling alive, but not going so far as to have an ASBO slapped on me at the church door! ;)

So...I am going to wear the vintage dress I bought for the August wedding, my Irregular Choice rose shoes, and a shawl, accessorised with the giant tartan bow and tights. Sorted.


But if I did happen to get my sewing done in time, I could be a veritable plaid cornucopia. Smirk.

6 comments:

Clare said...

I love that hairpiece and if I had a spare $80, I'd be adding it to my basket! I feel like I should encourage you to get this...

Kate said...

How much do I want to see the midnight blue coat + jabot combo with that hat? You'd look brilliant. I have a vintage plaid 'bus stop' maxi dress with long sleeves and ruffles that is a little too big for me - probably a size 10. Do you want to borrow it? I am serious...

Scruffybadger said...

Taking the subversiveness just a little further what about tartan undies? ;-)

GrannyPurple said...

I think a headpiece like that is sometimes known as a "fascinator". Absolutely appropriate in this case!

jessica said...

I really like the idea of Plan A and wish you could've pulled it off! I think we are all somehow wishing you would buy the fascinator and then we could live vicariously through you :-). You will model the final, subversive outfit for us, no?

feresaknit said...

Ah, yes I remember going to a school reunion of B's, 15 years. I toned it down and was still a smidgen overdressed/wild in comparison. Someone asked if he had hired me for the evening! After seeing his Mrs I took it as a compliment! :D