Saturday, November 06, 2010

And then I saw the bride...!


Thanks for all the lovely comments about our tartan wedding outfits! We had a good time, despite arriving late and leaving early. We stayed long enough for round one of the ceilidh, when the pressure to either dance or make small-talk with golfers became too much for me and FL's feet gave out.
So how was it, I hear you ask? Ha! Me and my big mouth. "Middle class and middle-aged" I said, expecting a very conservative wedding, because after all, I was told it had a tartan theme.

But what FL failed to tell me that the tartan theme had been announced by the groom to an all-male group, intending that the golfers should turn up in kilts. The women? Well, clearly nobody expected them to wear tartan! So, yes, I was the only female in the room sporting plaid. Thank goodness I did so with humour!

And what of my fears of looking too alternative if I had worn the steampunk fascinator...?!?!
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present THE BRIDE!

Yes, that is she, about to kiss my FL - tsk!
Yup, you guessed. Red and black appliqued silk with a full bustle, train, leg of mutton sleeves, corset-lacing... and MINI TOP HAT! The bridesmaids had them too. So at least I can say I didn't want to look like a bridesmaid.
And her make-up? Sweeping false eyelashes with rhinestones at the outer corners of her eyes!

I am in awe. It takes a hell of a lot of spunk to style your wedding so... gothically... in Aberdeen of all places!

4 comments:

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

fantastic Bride:)

christinelaennec said...

This is all very delicious, thank you! Would you ever have guessed that the crow-topped-top-hat would have been inappropriate because too like the bride's and bridesmaids' headgear?! By the end of the post I was half-wishing that you'd told the world that this was a typical wedding in the North-East of Scotland. Fabulous!

feresaknit said...

WOW! Definitely not typical golfing do then!

Steven L. Ritter said...

I think you looked fantastic... I loved the plaid style. I would love to be able to wear a kilt and plaid. My wife, Jenni knows that I would. I don't know about the bride's outfit though... Maybe a little out there for me. Glad you had fun....

Steven