Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Audrey-in-Angst


I feel as if I have been knitting my Audrey in Unst cardigan forever.

I honestly thought it would have been finished in the October holiday, but that came and went and still here I am, plugging away at the sleeves.

I was all set to finish Sleeve One last night when I realised that while the body is extremely fitted (um - negative ease, anyone?) my only concession to using fingering weight yarn instead of the specified sportweight was to pick up more stitches round the sleeve cap than Gudrun suggested. As a result, I have a much wider sleeve than the designer ever intended, and it would take me 71 minus 57 divided by 2 multiplied by 9 rows to get back on track.... pause for the maths... so that's an extra 63 rows before I reach the cuff. If my row gauge is 9 rows to the inch (and it may nor may not be, I am not saying because - gasp! - I have not checked my gauge!?!) that would make my sleeves 7 inches longer than the ones on the pattern.

Now, they are designed to be 3/4 length which I really like but I do have circulatory issues to contend with, so if anything, longer would be better... but 7 inches?

Pause to get a ruler out of my desk drawer.

YAY! PERFECT!!!!

But please, don't try this at home, folks. Swatch first.

Do not be surprised if the next picture you see on this blog is a photo of some ripped-out yarn...

2 comments:

christinelaennec said...

Well, you're certainly not alone in hating to swatch, judging by the many comments on Ysolda's recent post about it! I'm glad it looks like you're still on track to relieve Audrey of any angst.

feresaknit said...

You wash your fabric before sewing and yet you don't swatch - I just don't know what to say - I'm stunned! ;D