Thursday, November 25, 2010

FO: Aeonium Hat



Whizz! Another Christmas present hat flies off the needles!


It took less than two balls of Rowan Cashsoft Aran (bargain from Kemps) on 4.5mm dpns.

This is one of those patterns which you don't really appreciate properly until you knit it. I thought it was basically a girly Koolhaas, but it is actually much cleverer than that, and a lot easier to knit!

I remember struggling with FL's Koolhaas, as all those criss-crosses were "knit through the back of the loop"s. Aeonium achieves the same criss-crossiness with plain knit stitches except when tbls are used to add extra definition as the pattern starts to swirl on top. I was blown away by all the different ways you learn to decrease stitches and keep the swirly criss-cross-iness going! And the travelling stitches helped me avoid the laddering I experienced with the Medici hat, as I could "time" the cross-overs to move with the needle-changes.

Woo hoo! Knitted hat geek-heaven!

P.S. We have Big Snow! It took me 2 hours to drive home last night and it was terrifying as there was sheet ice everywhere and multiple crashes to negotiate. Somehow I made it back safely, but I am not trying it again until the gritters go out.

6 comments:

Debi said...

Wow! That hat looks so great! I *must* learn to knit (I know I say that on all your knitting posts!) We have some snow too...but it's slowly melting away!

feresaknit said...

You have BIG SNOW! Ohhhhhh, I looooooooove snow!

I also really love the swirlyness of that hat (I don't think that's a real word but I think it's appropriate)!
:D

RooKnits said...

Another gorgeous hat. So glad you got home safely.

Scruffybadger said...

Blimey you've been busy! If it was a race (& it is not!) I calculate that you are several laps ahead of me in your pressie making. And they are truly gorgeous knitteds. Speaking of knits - I adore your twinset pattern. Totally the right move- there is nothing like selecting, anticipating & then receiving a gorgeous pattern to unpack. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Kestrel said...

Lovely hat, and what a great present.

christinelaennec said...

That is gorgeous! I'm not a huge fan of double-pointed needles, but you are really tempting me to try this. Enjoy the snow!