Wednesday, November 17, 2010

FO: Medici Hat


Zoom! There's nothing like a spot of instant gratification in the middle of a long-slog-knit!

This is the Medici hat by Woolly Wormhead from her book Twisted Woolly Toppers, for my mother's Christmas.

It took two 50g balls of Rowan Cashsoft Aran: there were just a few yards leftover at the end. I used my Daisy dpns in size 4.5mm and the gauge is just right.
However, I found I had some slight "laddering" at the needle changes, as it was hard to maintain an even tension with this yarn / needle combination.
Maybe using 5 needles would have helped - I only had 4 and I was in danger of losing stitches at either end of the needle at the widest part of this hat. Some gentle blocking should sort it out.

Verdict?
Lovely pattern, lovely colour, it should be soft enough for my itchy mother, and it is definitely warm! I am tempted to keep it for myself, but that is my problem with Christmas in general!
Onwards, onwards - hat number two beckons!

9 comments:

didyoumakethat said...

Wheee! Aren't you clever, knitting with multiple needles? Looks lovely.

Steph said...

Love it, I may make one of these for Christmas, too. Thanks!

RooKnits said...

Gorgeous, love it!

Where the nodding violets grow said...

I really like this pattern. It wasn't one I would have thought of doing but it looks really good.

christinelaennec said...

Roobeedoo that is just lovely! It really suits you - perhaps you should make another one for yourself during the holidays?

Minnado said...

It looks lovely - you should make one for yourself too!

faeriecollege said...

Looking fab Roo!

Scruffybadger said...

Really really love it! But three needles??!!! You are truly a knitmeister. I can only dream of soaring to your level of skills with wool ...

I'm attempting a ski hat (for me :-) ) - bobble, thick needles, chunky yarn. It'll be quicker than that lace "shawl" I've got on the go!

Dennis Pyritz, RN said...

I just found your blog. As a fellow cancer survivor, my thoughts and prayers are with you.
Also...Great Blog! You are a credit to the cancer blogging community. I have added you to my blogroll, “Cancer Blogs Lists” with over 1100 other personal cancer blogs at www.beingcancer.net, a cancer networking site featuring a cancer book club, guest blogs, cancer resources, reviews and more.
If you have not visited before or recently, please stop by. If you agree that the site is a worthwhile resource for those affected by cancer, please consider adding Being Cancer Network to your own blogroll.
Now that you are listed, you can expect to gain a wider audience for your thoughts and experiences. Being Cancer Network is a place to share and communicate.

Take care, Dennis (beingcancer@att.net)