Saturday, November 27, 2010

FO: Norie, the sorting hat

The spicy mix of (a) a daughter making life-changing decisions;(b) FL's cancer bouncing back; and (c) being snowed in, was enough to drive me to the knit.

It would appear that I knitted this hat in 48 hours. I didn't know I could!
This is the Norie hat from Shetland Trader Book 1, destined to be the first of many projects from this book as I love, love, love it!

What can I say? A speedy, addictive knitting experience. I used Coldharbour Mill DK, which is quite a light, soft yarn and comes in lots of lovely colours at a good price. This is Devon Green, and I needed less than one 100g skein on 3.75mm dpns (my faithful Daisy needles of course!)


The finished hat is wonderfully drapey and would accommodate a big head of hair / dreads comfortably, while having a tight enough band to stay put. I would like to knit another in soya/cotton for the summer.
Although there is quite a lot of knitting involved, the cat's paw lace stripes give the project a forward momentum that I really appreciated in my hours of need.

Why "the sorting hat"? Well, I was conscious that while I knitted, my daughter was in London, trying to decide between a strict Hackney comprehensive or her current country town academy, and it reminded me of the Harry Potter sorting hat: Slytherin or Gryffindor? Not that she ever got into HP....

And the decision? Oh, it was horribly prolonged and difficult, but in the end she has decided to come back "home" to live with me and return to the country school.
Better the devil she knows.
But we won't be tolerating any bullying or racism or any of the other nonsense. Wee Mad Mamma Roo will be up to see the Headteacher before you can say "Boo"... so watch out you little horrors!

And thank goodness my regular Girl photographer is flying home tonight - FL and I are struggling on our own!

8 comments:

blue hands said...

What a tough decision she's had. Far better, though, to have had the opportunity and make a positive decision to continue with the life she knows (and the comfort of living with Mamma Roo), than to just buckle under the strain. I can't believe that a Scottish school - however rural - is tolerating racist bullying, so good for you. Make them sit up and pay attention! xxx

christinelaennec said...

That is a lovely hat and a great name for it too. I made a Fair Isle jacket during a very intense few months of decision-making and battling with authorities about my son's future, over 10 years ago now. I still associate the jacket with getting through that time (in a positive way). Your daughter is very lucky to have such a generous and supportive mother in all this. But will she be bringing chocolate to the hinterlands?! I do hope so.

Scruffybadger said...

What a poignant post & a wonderful piece of head-gear. It's your observations I love as much as your sewing & knitting style. Thank you for all your inspiration. Remember if it wasn't for you I wouldn't have embarked on that addictive, semi sociable & far more portable woolly habit! (& I wouldn't be knitting/ unravelling/ knitting/ unravelling every evening ....)

feresaknit said...

Ohhh I really like Shalder, your sorting hat is nice too.

Glad the girl has decided to stay at home! :D

tim's wife said...

Glad to hear your daughter is coming home. Hope FL's numbers start behaving and I am so tempted to try making this hat but know I will never finish it. In reference to what is going on at school, I would recommend buying your daughter a small digital voice recorder. I find the anti-bullying rules in schools fall short of where they should be to protect the victims. I have one of these recorders(it's very small but records clearly) and I mainly use it to tape MM seminars but it helped me a lot when a contractor tried to cheat me and I had a phone call taped where he implicated himself in the scam. If your daughter gets racist or bullying comments on tape, neither the school nor the bully's parents can claim it didn't happen and their little "angel" would NEVER say such a thing. It's a shame that this is going on today but it is the reality and much better not to play the victim but to fight back, in my opinion anyway.

Where the nodding violets grow said...

The hat is as beautiful as I thought it would be. How speedy.

didyoumakethat said...

Knitting as therapy. It's so calming, isn't it? I think I'm secretly glad your daughter is staying with you, despite the bullying. The hat is super-lovely - just what one looks for in a hat. A bit of drape but snug over the ears. I can't believe you knitted it in 48 hours. I love the last shot where you can see the shadow of your hand holding up the camera. Another lovely blog post and one for you to look back on and marvel at this time in your life.

Gabrielle said...

It's good stuff Roo (apart from the cancer news, obviously), it's just excellent that your daughter has had a proper, serious opportunity to look at her options and make a definite decision about how she wants to move forward - now that she has decided, it gives you all the chance to settle before Christmas and do what's necessary to resolve the problems that she's having at school locally. Gx