Sunday, November 14, 2010

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas

Where has the time gone? It feels like only yesterday that I was "getting ahead" by knitting a stash of baby hats for Christmas. That was in April. Since then, the intended babies have emigrated to Abu Dhabi with their parents, so are unlikely to require woolly warmers this year. How inconsiderate!

So here we are halfway through November and I have officially NOTHING knitted ready for Christmas gift-ing. Which is hopeless.

It is way too late for socks. What has happened to my sock-knitting? Audrey. Audrey has happened. But this weekend she was pushed to one side.

I have begun my Christmas knitting with a Medici hat for my mother. It is definitely "her colour" and hopefully soft enough (last year's Pretty Thing was too itchy and has never been worn - when will I learn?!) This is Rowan Cashsoft Aran from my Kemps bargain haul, and I am really enjoying the soft but firm knitting experience: lots of stitch definition.

I also stacked the log pile. Half a ton of mixed logs were unceremoniously dumped in a heap outside the front door a few days ago and I could tell that FL had no interest in moving them.
I followed this task with stripping this year's lavender crop.
My hands are now wrecked. The joys of country living!
So after all this effort, I settled down and devoured The Perks of Being a Wallflower, from the Reading List. Which was deeply moving. I have not yet fully processed it, but it was definitely a book to immerse yourself in and feel.
I was halfway through this when I witnessed my daughter and son's Facebook chat about whether or not she should move to London. My Boy was such a kind and caring brother today - I had tears in my eyes! The Girl reported these to him, to which he replied "Don't laugh at mum!" which completely set me off. I can't get over how much he has grown up in the past couple of months, away at University.
So... the latest on London is that my Ex has visited a school which has my daughter at number two on its waiting list. Completely against my expectations, he reported that he would be happy for her to go there - that it was very welcoming, academically sound and "quite strict", with a diverse ethnic mix. WOW! I was not expecting that at all. He was being very wary about this school when it was first mentioned. Not only that, but the school's own Admissions Tutor was surprised to hear my daughter was on a waiting list... as there are currently vacancies in her year! She said there was often a lack of communication between the Centre and schools, so my Ex will be ringing the Centre on Monday to get some sense out of them. And my daughter needs to do some serious thinking.
We all do. Gulp.

So who knows what will have happened by Christmas?!

2 comments:

christinelaennec said...

What a beautiful pattern the Medici hat is, lucky your mother! And how sweet your son is being - good for him. All the best with the serious thinking. I find knitting always helps with that.

feresaknit said...

Aww how sweet of your son! You musta done a good job!

The perks of being a wall flower doesn't sound like my kinda book but you simply MUST tell me what the revelation about Great Aunt Helen is when you find out! ;D