Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Rockabilly skirt plan

My wardrobe has been culled... and you are sick of hearing about it, so I won't go on, I promise!

And in the wake of a colleague's Voluntary Severance, my diary has suddenly filled up with meetings-across-the-cobbles, so I definitely need more smart work wear: trousers, skirts and long-sleeved tops.

I found this skirt pattern on Etsy and have great plans.

It only takes a yard of 54" wide fabric, as it is a wrap-round style, fastened with buttons at the side waist.

Another opportunity to play with vintage buttons - excellent!




Karen very kindly did some Walthamstow-market shopping for me after I spotted this photo on her blog ...though she didn't include a Percy Ingles cheese and onion pasty in the package, which was most disappointing! ; )


So I have a metre of grey and black tweedy / velvety fabric to try out my new pattern - oooh! I reckon it will look amazing with my Rockabilly plum shirt - the roses match the secret cuff embroidery!

If all goes well, I plan to rustle up a pinstripe version too.

After last week's sewing marathon, preparing for the tartan wedding, I devoted the weekend to knitting. I am approaching the cuff of the first sleeve of Audrey-in-Unst - at last!

Meantime I am jiggling about to the new Imelda May CD - woo hoo! "May-hem, doo doo-doo!"

6 comments:

didyoumakethat said...

Ooh, that fabric will look fabulous with that skirt. I love the button details.

faeriecollege said...

That skirt! O my goodness, I want one. Or several. Good find, Roo! I think it'll look lovely with the plum shirt.

Sarah said...

That skirt is sensational!! Now I need to find that pattern :) It's going to look gorgeous made up in your fabric - looking forward to seeing the big reveal.

If you love Audrey Hepburn and the like, come and join my sew-along:

http://www.rhinestonesandtelephones.com/2010/08/hepburn-hepburn-project.html

Sarah :)

arcanethings said...

If you haven't seen this website before, I think you might love the quality and simplicity of what they do.....

http://merchantandmills.com/

Warmest Wishes,

Marie

Scruffybadger said...

I have to agree - that skirt pattern is a real find- & only a yard!!! It looks like it would need more - double bargain!!

Susie Hemingway said...

Adore this skirt pattern, just love it. Classy and looks the perfect length for office or social occasions. Just my cup of tea, being a tall gal that prefers to wear a slightly longer skirt, with high heels of course. It is the most elegant of styles. A plain fabric with wonderfully different pattern stockings would i feel, change the look daily. Very very nice indeed. I am in awe of you. You seem to achieve so much and working also! Amazing. Caring at the moment seems a full time job and I am just about covering everything but sewing and knitting as you do - well that really IS something. Wonderful!!