Monday, November 29, 2010

Sewing Update - Grrrr and Brrrr

I made a start on my Rockabilly Skirt at the weekend.

However, I totally misunderstood the construction, thinking it was a wrap-around skirt that fastened with buttons. In fact it is a "normal" back-zipped skirt with pocket yokes inserted underneath the front at the sides. The buttons are purely decorative.

The insertion of the pocket yokes is proving to be a challenge. I tried to "size up" the skirt by adding 5/8" to each of the centre front, the pocket yokes and the centre back. As a result, my yokes are too big for the gap they are intended to fill. I charged on regardless, trying to make them fit, and ended up with wrinkling and lumpiness. Now that I understand why they don't fit, I will have to unpick them and trim the excess fabric.

It is therefore entirely likely that the skirt will be too small at the waist and that I should have added even more to the centre backs and front fold. Grrrr.

The waistband is designed to be either lined with another fabric, or backed with grosgrain ribbon. Now I know why this pattern only requires a yard of fabric - because several essential parts are cut out of other material! So the metre of grey lining I bought to line the skirt as a whole has already been pillaged for bodged pocket linings and may therefore be insufficient. Grrrr.

Luckily, I have a metre of grosgrain ribbon in my haberdashery box for the waistband .. but I won't use it until I am sure the garment fits.

What? You don't sing along to obscure German Romantic operas while you sew?!


Weather report:
It is still snowing. The snow plough cleared the "main" road on Saturday afternoon so we made it out to the airport to collect The Girl. But we had to use a sledge to get her luggage back to the farmhouse as our track is impassable.
I was at work today, but FL took me there and collected me early, as further heavy snowfalls were forecast and we certainly didn't want to be snowed out!

5 comments:

christinelaennec said...

Oh your description of sewing bafflements is very familiar to me. It just takes patience. I'm convinced almost everything can be made to work one way or another.

I'm not sure which German Romantic opera you were singing, but I love the pun on "toile" and "toil"!

I was wondering if the Girl had made it back. I'm so pleased to hear that you managed it, and that you haven't been snowed *out*. Stay warm!

Scruffybadger said...

I feel your Grrr too! Your illusion in the perfect 1 yard skirt is being shattered! But I bet it'll work out wonderfully ....but hope not too much swearing! Enjoy wrapping yourselves in your gorgeous shawls!

Roobeedoo said...

christine- If you click the lyrics link it takes you to wiki page for the opera: "Hans Heiling".

CCK said...

Happy that you are home from work safely.

feresaknit said...

YOU had to make the pattern bigger! Did you find a stash of chocolate? ;D