Friday, December 03, 2010

FO: Rainbow Warrior hat (minus its be-jinkies)

Dear Paula,

When you suggested that FL might get improved colour tv reception in his Rainbow Warrior Hat compared to his Centuria, you probably did not realise that I was, in fact, knitting an "aerial cosy".

Best wishes,


Roobeedoo


P.S. What does Buddy's head measure? Is he bigger than a chihuahua?



Freshly-knitted, this hat was far too big. So last night, I stuck it in the washing machine for a 60 degree hot wash. I rarely cook my washing at this temperature - I reserve Cycle D for extreme cleaning, like dog-basket bedding.

**********This is why!************

Friends, if ever you need to demonstrate to your children / partner the reason why they should separate their hand-knits from the rest of the wash, show them this post.

FL's HUGE Rainbow Warrior hat is now a TINY felted elf-hat.


Too big for an egg-cosy. Too small to cover the tea-pot. Just right to fit the TV aerial... or possibly a favourite golf-club...?

Stats:


Rainbow Warrior by Woolly Wormhead
2 x 50g balls of Reggae Ombre, from Knitting4Fun
5mm straight needles
Felted by Hotpoint, Cycle D, 60 degrees.



Philosophy will clip an Angel’s wings,
Conquer all mysteries by rule and line,
Empty the haunted air, and gnomed mine —
Unweave a rainbow, as it erewhile made
The tender-person’d Lamia melt into a shade.

Keats, "Lamia", Pt. II, l. 234

14 comments:

christinelaennec said...

Sad event, hilarious photos, lovely poem. Ah me...

Gabrielle said...

Fantastic Roo...! I thought that it was only me who had complete and utter hat disasters - the perfect TB aerial cosy!

Gx

didyoumakethat said...

This is officially the most HILARIOUS blog post I have read. Ever. I am sorry your time was wasted, but FL and yourself make the most wonderful models for this most idiosyncratic of creations. Be proud, Ruth, be proud.

Lucette said...

I don't know what to say...

you did make me laugh though. it would be a nice teacozy for a small pot...
hope the snow melts

tim's wife said...

Um...well, it could be used as a knitted willie warmer for Lorna and Mike's MM calendar. Just a thought. :o)

Now that I've said that, FL has got to get that thing off his head immediately!

Sandy said...

Oh my.... will that cozy hat fit Buddy after all? This is beginning to sound like Northern Exposure's silly serial. I love the expression on FL's face....:-)

Sandy said...

Oh my... will that cozy hat fit Buddy after all? This is beginning to sound like something from the Northern Exposure silly serial of some years back on the telly... but I did love the expression on FL's face - priceless!

bagqueen said...

I am warned I will not wash my Rainbow Warrior!! Yours was such lovely colours too you must find a regular use for it its far too lovely to waste!!

What great models you and FL are!!

feresaknit said...

Dear Roobeedoo

Well this is what happens when you get wool from somewhere called Knitting4fun!

I will be back to critique your finished hat once the screen is no longer blurry - it could be a while.

Paula
x

PS - As much as I would love to take the finished hat off your hands it is, unfortunately as you may have suspected, too small for Buddy.

Cazz said...

OMG that's hilarious. I hope it was a quick knit. Maybe get a small teapot for one and use it as the cosy.
LOL!!!

Kestrel said...

What a shame! It looks lovely felted too. Does make for a funny blog post tho :)

bizzilizzi said...

what about buying a tiny wee teapot?? I am sorry but it really is very funny............get some goose eggs and it will make a perfect egg cosy...........ok - i'll stop now..........

RooKnits said...

Oh my word. This made me laugh out loud (sorry). I bet it is even too small for Thomas. xxx

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you all for your kind (!) comments. he tried it on his sand-wedge (not to be confused with "sandwich") and it was too small. I am officially a failed golf-club-cosy designer!