Tuesday, January 04, 2011

FO: Audrey In Unst Cardigan


Finished!!!!
See that smile? That is Ms Roobeedoo at the end of a holiday knitting marathon, with a successful Finished Object - phew!

OK, so those shoulders could do with a bit of blocking, but give a girl a break will you?!

According to Ravelry, I began this cardigan on September 14 2010, which isn't that long ago really. But I am so used to short, speedy projects that I was rather daunted by the acres of stocking-stitch in fingering weight wool.
Discovering that the neck edge was an I-cord bind-off almost finished me off this afternoon, as it took three times as long as I expected, but I have to admit it is a very neat touch.

It has confirmed my opinion about Gudrun Johnston's patterns - they are fiendishly well-written, with an incredible attention to detail. Absolutely nothing is left to chance: if you follow her instructions, you will end up with a beautiful garment.
But did I? Well, I was rather cavalier in my yarn choice and used a fingering-weight instead of the recommended sportweight, which led to me increasing the number of stitches picked up round the sleeve tops, which led to me having to lengthen the sleeves to continue a steady decrease down to the cuffs. By that point, there was no going back, so I made the cuffs slightly longer too.
Wanna see the back view?
OK then!

Stats:
Audrey in Unst by Gudrun Johnston, available here at Twist Collective.
Needles: 3.5mm for the bottom ribbing, 3.25mm everywhere else.
Yarn: Albayarn 4 ply Shetland Lambswool, spun locally for The Wool Shed in Oyne. I used the colour "Glade". It was only £3.95 a ball and I used 4 balls, which seems like a total bargain for a fabric which looks like something out of the pages of a Toast catalogue!
The buttons are simple green plastic fish-eyes that I bought to make an O W L S sweater... and I will still do that, because I have a big bag left.

Verdict:

Oh me, oh my, this was a lot of work, but I reckon it was worth it!
I love the lace panels and I loved the nipped-in shape, and I even love that blessed I-cord bind-off!
Would I knit it again?
In thicker yarn, yes I would - gasp! I bet you never thought I'd say that!

18 comments:

Kate said...

It's completely gorgeous! The yarn is a beautiful colour. Hope you wear it lots to show it off. :-D

Roisin Muldoon said...

Oh Ms Roobeedoo, I LOVES it! And it looks so snappy with that pencil skirt. Hey, you don't do commissions by any chance?!

RooKnits said...

Absolutely stunning. It is perfect for you....

christinelaennec said...

Stunning - well done you!

Clare said...

Beautiful cardigan - I love that colour. Whatever modifications you made seem to have worked perfectly and £16 or thereabouts is nothing to pay for something so lovely. Hope you enjoy wearing it!

Sarah said...

Beautiful! The design and colour look wonderful on you :)

didyoumakethat said...

It might have been a lot of work, but it is a lovely FO. Well done!

faeriecollege said...

It's completely gorgeous, and really, really suits you. Congrats!

feresaknit said...

WOW - I think it was worth the effort we've all put in bearing with you since September.

No, it's stunning (or will be once you've blocked the shoulders ;D) and what a bargain.

tim's wife said...

You are a font of talent and patience. I am both impressed and jealous since I am seriously lacking in both. Very pretty sweater Roo. I, too, love the color!

daisydonut said...

It's a beautiful colour and looks wonderful on you. I'm really impressed that you've knitted it since September as well as completing other knitting projects in between. It would take me at least 12 months to knit!

tea and cake said...

Wow, this is beautiful and suits you. Others have said everything I wanted to say so, hear, hear!

mooncalf said...

Oh wow - totally inspiring.

It looks great on you - well done!

Kestrel said...

It looks really great on you, well done. You have every right to feel pleased with yourself! I'm even more envious as my own version didn't turn out half as well.

Minnado said...

I am liking it a lot. It is such a sweet retro shap, fab colour choice. I am loving the lace panel too.

Clare said...

It's gorgeous! You're right that the pattern is excellent; well worth the time spent. Well done!

lacewing said...

Beautifully done!

Paula said...

I'm about halfway thru this in a cotton mercerized yarn (tahki?). I've lost track of the decreases/increases as I haven't picked it up in so long! I love yours! I'm quite a little more chunkier than you so I hope I like it when (and if) I ever finish it!