Yay! I did it! I completed my January socks on Sunday, after an all-day knitting-at-home festival!
I am determined to stick to my plan of knitting a pair of socks every month this year, and refused to fail in the first month.
Pattern: Paul Atwell socks by Emily Johnson, part of her Family Trunk Project. (P.S. Go and look at her blog to see a beautiful sewing project!)
It's a great pattern - well-written, reliable, and in lots of sizes to suit a wider-footed male.
Although the stitch pattern includes a scary-looking "loop" on the right side (which is picked up two rows later), the fabric stayed really stretchy and didn't lose tension.
I knitted the 80-stitch version, to make sure FL could get them on and off easily without laboured bending and huffing and puffing.
I used Lidl's Cesana sock yarn, which was stupidly cheap: 4 balls for £2.99 I think it was - or possibly £3.99, but since I only used one ball per sock, these are definitely the cheapest socks I have ever knitted.
It remains to be seen how they wash and wear, but I was impressed by the Regia-like quality of the yarn as I worked with it.
The only criticism I have is that one ball in the pack of 4 was a noticeably different colour to the others: much much paler. There is no "dye lot" info on the ball bands, so I guess you get what you pay for. I will probably use that ball "row about" with the darker ball to avoid a bleached-out looking mismatched sock.
FL likes them, although he always prefers knee-high socks if he can persuade me to knit them! I enjoyed knitting these, despite the self-imposed pressure of knitting the last half-sock in one day. I really like the texture of the gull-and-seed stitch.
Ooh - now I get to choose a new pattern and yarn for February!