Monday, February 07, 2011

Not the Only Fruit?


I have clearly passed through my Green Period and am now immersed in orange.

Thanks to Teaandcakes, I discovered the shrug pattern "Summer Affair" by Carol Feller and immediately wound my yarn to knit a beautiful lacey shrug.

It is a mystery skein from my bag of Hipknits samples. All I know is that it is "kid mohair and silk" and it is 2-ply. I believe it to be laceweight but it may be nearer fingering weight. The label did not give any details about yardage either, so this is a bit of a risky venture!
First impressions are good: I have learned a new way to do a provisional cast-on using a crochet hook, which looks infinitely more unzippable than the "crochet a chain and pick up the stitches" method which always leaves me in knots with the wrong number of "unzipped" stitches. I have only knitted three rows so nothing to show as yet!

My first February sock is going well. I am finding the stitch pattern somewhat compulsive, and I was reluctant to put it down until I finished the first "repeat".

And in case you were wondering: the fabric in the first photo is the beautiful silk / cotton voile I bought from Ditto to make a couple of Cinnamon slips.
That's my project for next weekend.
Meantime, I am hiding jars of Vegan Vampyre Marmalade in odd cupboards to prevent FL eating it all at once in triple-decker midnight-snack sandwiches: I think he likes it!

9 comments:

Kestrel said...

That sock is looking lovely. Re the amount of yarn, have you thought of weighing it? I have electronic scales which are perfect for such a job, as I find it impossible to guess yarn amounts too.

Roobeedoo said...

Kestrel - weighing it doesn't tell me the yardage, and the only mohair / silk mix from Hipknits on Ravelry is described as "sportweight". If that's what I've got, I may be in big trouble! Maybe I should count the "wraps per inch" and weigh it...? Or just carry on regardless and call it a scarf if there isn't enough for a shrug!

tea and cake said...

Wow the shrug and sock are gorgeous. It seems quite ironic to be knitting both at the same time, somehow!

Karie B. said...

I'm all about orange at the moment too. I just ordered some lovely orange cotton voile from Croft Mill - I only have a vague plan called "summer dress" so far, though!

Minnado said...

I love a bit of orange! I think it defies the wearer to be depressed when wearing. The socks look lovely. I am looking forward to seeing the shrug.

christinelaennec said...

I laughed just to read the title of your latest post (in my bookmarks), before even the page had loaded. The socks are beautiful and I do hope you'll have enough wool to make your shrug. (Large needles?) I hope you manage to keep some of the marmalade for yourself!

Kestrel said...

Hmmm, could you weigh the ball first, knit a section and then weigh the section and remaining wool and use that to estimate how much weight you would need to make the whole thing? That might however involve a bit much mathematics for my liking, you may as well just knit and see where you end up with it :)

Scruffybadger said...

I'm loving all of the orange-ness that's going on with you. It is too tasteful for you to be described as having been "Tangoed" (but that's what a lot of orange reminds me of - you know those silly adverts!!)
Looking forward to hearing how you get on with Cinnamon. Have you been seeing all of the Nutmeg tutorials coming from the Colette patterns blog? Very inspirational ...

Roobeedoo said...

"Tangoed"?! No fake tans in thishouse thank you!
;)