I have been seeing so many Pendrell tops across the blogosphere recently, that it was inevitable that I would crack sooner rather than later. But I am slightly bemused to find that mine seems to fit entirely differently to every other one I have seen.
Karen is the current Pendrell Queen, having rustled up not one, not two, but three of these tops recently. And hers all have tiny little ruffley sleeves.
I have swooping great (bingo?) wings. I cannot explain this. And while FL says he thinks my version suits me "exceptionally well", I feel like it might be a top for an older lady. I feel a bit middle-aged in it. SOB!
The Pendrell blouse from Sewaholic. I made US size 4.
1.5 metres of cotton jersey with (tippexed-on?) spots from Croft Mill.
Lots of thread.
Nothing else. So economical on the notions front!
How was the sewing experience?
Well, I "took against" this fabric almost on sight. Those flipping dots are like sticky white vinyl and you can hardly get a pin to pierce them. Once you do, they shed white dust onto the plain bits of the fabric. Grrr.
Which is a shame because the base jersey is beautifully drapey and soft. It went out of alignment on the washing line so I had to cut each piece on a single thickness of fabric, as it was warping all over the place. I used my Bernina's overlocking stitch for the long seams and hem, and a plain stitch for the neck and sleeve bindings.
Yes, I really did. This blouse is constructed rather cleverly to enclose the long princess seams and shoulders under the sleeves, so if you mess up your multi-layered seams, they are hidden from view - woo hoo!
The sleeves are double-thickness, which makes for a lot of layers on those pleats. Choose your fabric with care!
The only thing I did that wasn't written-in, was to extend the neck binding to make that bow-tie. I would love to take credit for this, but it wasn't my idea! I copied Jane, who copied Andrea!
Not sure... My daughter says it looks like hospital scrubs-colour and is too old-looking for me. FL loves it. Hmmm...