Monday, March 21, 2011

WIPs: Don't Panic Captain Mainwaring!*

*A reference to Dad's Army, if you don't know.
Betty Jean is two weeks old! And I have just reached the bust shaping. So that means I am halfway up the body and "just" have the upper half (with all the colourwork) and two sleeves to knit. Bargain!

I have also just started the second ball of main- coloured yarn. I have two more - is that enough? This could be crucial because there is an awful rumour that AlbaYarn may not be around for much longer, as the spinner is in administration. I have a terrible urge to drive to The Wool Shed and buy up every ball in sight, in every colour, I love this yarn so much. Don't panic, don't panic!

In sewing news, my mind is off and running towards the next few projects. My Croft Mill order arrived and I have been pre-washing everything, just to have it ready to sew.
One casualty so far - some polka-dot cotton jersey was stretched out of alignment by the wind on the washing line and I am having a helluva time getting it to lie flat so I can cut a Pendrell blouse.
I am also slightly disturbed by the "painted on with tippex" look of the dots. They look like they are going to crack like the print on a cheap t-shirt.
It is entirely possible that this project is doomed, doomed I tell ye!

I am simultaneously planning swooping great sail-legged trousers and drapey shell tops. Not to wear together. Oh - and I have no pattern for the shell-tops, so I don't know what I am playing at, other than keeping Etsy in business. Scruffybadger is once again to blame for... oops... I mean the inspiration behind, my idea to make drapey cowl neck tops. I really ought to get my box of patterns out and use what I have.
And in the midst of all this feverish stitchy planning, the sun is shining and I have a terrible feeling of guilt that I ought to be out digging the herb garden, because the farm labourer doesn't have the time. Yes... but neither do I, unless I give up sewing and knitting!
However... deep breaths... the slow cooker continues to buy me extra "spare" time. This weekend we had a very successful Pork Vindaloo, a Mixed Vegetable Curry, and Caribbean Chicken and Pumpkin curry, all from Slow Cooking Curry and Spice Dishes.

5 comments:

CCK said...

Oh I hope AlbaYarn does not go the way of......if I were in country I'd race you to The Wool Shed!!

Where the nodding violets grow said...

Ooh no. I copied you with the shade you used for 'Audrey' because I loved the colour so much. I was really impressed by the yarn and the shades available. Should we stock up? Or should we eat and have heating? Decisions, decisions. I really like the Wool Shed. Their service is brilliant and their postage rates are really reasonable. They are a real find. Thank you for the link.

Kate said...

I see me pincushion! Gawd, they were fun to make. . . (and its back to the albayarn with me) . . .

Scruffybadger said...

O my word - I am surrounded by Pendrells. It is so tough resisting - I am now dreaming about them. I know I will also love your version ... sigh...

christinelaennec said...

That's very sad news about AlbaYarn. I hope they "pull through". You're making great progress on Betty Jean by the way. If it was me, I'd buy at least one other ball of the main-coloured yarn. Sleeves (even short ones) always seem to take a lot more yarn than I imagine they will. And you'll have to strand every row of the colourwork, I think?