Monday, April 11, 2011

Weights and Measures

Image credit: Diabetes UK My workplace is supporting a local research study which is all about eating behaviours and stress. Intrigued, I signed up to be an anonymous volunteer.

Ok - not that anonymous because they know who I am, where I live, where I work, what I weigh, marital status, date of birth - actually they pretty much know everything about me except that I knit and blog! ; )

Today I was "weighed in" and all my vital statistics taken. Of course, it was all in centimetres and kilos so I had to go back to the office and convert my stats to inches and pounds to make sense of it all. And it was very interesting. I hadn't weighed myself for about 5 years and I had certainly not been measured by anyone else, well, forever!

And you may not be surprised to hear that I am slimmer and lighter than I thought. At least I got my height right!

Which explains why my 40's trousers-to-be seem a bit big. I could have made a size smaller.

I am also borderline "underweight" on the BMI graph. Oops!

I had to fill in a gazillion questionnaires there and then, and for the next week I have to keep a very detailed food diary, weigh everything I eat or drink, and wear a fancy movement detector to measure how much I exercise. Talk about stressful!

I have to note how I am feeling every hour on the hour.

Um - "stressed by all these questions" comes to mind!

It is going to be an interesting week...

6 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

That's ok...I am just into the overweight, so between us we are just right!

Scruffybadger said...

That's the thing, isn't it - how much will it affect what you do/ what you eat etc knowing that "someone's" watching you? And how tempted will you be to get playful ? ;-)

Siga said...

That sounds exciting! Looking forward to hearing more about this research.

Sandy said...

I weighed in today as well and was surprised to find I was one kilo down from a week before!! That's 2.2 lbs, y'all.I do a fair amount of walking so that helps. But keeping track of how I am feeling every hour... that seems daunting!! Good luck on this.

Lorna said...

I'm so obsessed with food and my weight that I can't wait to read how things went. Personally I don't need a study to tell me that I eat far more when stressed and Mike eats less. Hence my need to dye-it.

Roobeedoo said...

Well, 24 hours in and I added a bounce on the trampoline to my daily routine - but I did actually bounce so it's not cheating!
;)