Monday, May 02, 2011

When maths suck, make brownies

1/2 cup butter or margarine (1 cup is 8 fl oz)




3 ounces dark (at least 70%) chocolate


1 cup lightly packed brown sugar


1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


2 eggs


1/2 cup plain flour


1/2 cup broken walnuts




Preheat oven to 350 (180 on my cooker)




Line an 8" baking tray with greaseproof paper




Melt together the butter and chocolate




Whizz everything except the walnuts together in a food processor.




Fold in the walnuts.




Pour into baking tray and cook for a scant 20 minutes: it should still be slightly gooey in the middle.



Permit your mother to escape into the sunshine with a good book for a little while: her head hurts from all those parabolas.




Good book: "Angels and Men" by Catherine Fox




That's "Angels" not "Angles".




7 comments:

Sandy said...

What about the whipped cream or ice cream? I am going to try that recipe - sounds delish!

faeriecollege said...

I'd say "poor Roo, all those paraboles", but you got brownies. AND a good book. Lucky :P

(ps. My "verify you are a real person" thingy is resting. I laughed out loud. So fitting)

Nicola said...

I have loved that book (and her other two novels) for years, since I was a young and rather mad student in Durham myself.

christinelaennec said...

The brownies look and sound delicious. Do you have to do maths in order to bake some? Good luck to The Girl for tomorrow!

Twelfthknit said...

is it a book about, among other things, religion or is it a religious book?

Roobeedoo said...

Ooh tricky question, India! It is set in a community of theology scholars and covers themes of faith and fanaticism, but as a non-believer I enjoyed the debates and did not feel I was being "preached to" and the author was not trying to convert me. The power of the characterisation alone makes this novel worth reading.

Scruffybadger said...

Yum! We made chocolate brownie loaf - I must have been picking up your vibes! Love your fairies tree stump amongst the bluebells :-)