Friday, June 10, 2011

Fearless Friday inspiration



Image credit: Emily of The Black Apple


We interrupt Me Made June to gawp in wonder at someone else's sewing.

The is Emily's "Bee in My Bonnet Blouse". You can read all about it here.

Basically, she traced an existing blouse to make the pattern, then plunged right in to her vintage fabric like Edward Scissorhands: snip, snip, snip: ta da! OK, so maybe there was more to it than that.

All this week I have been grumbling about not being able to find the perfect pattern for a simple t-shirt with pleats at the neck. An anonymous reader pointed me in the direction of an excellent-looking Butterick pattern, and I found another by Kwik-Sew, and both were fine but neither was perfect.


And I have been watching in awe as Miss Dibs whips up dress after dress for MMJ, with an airy comment that she used the top half of one pattern combined with "a rectangle of fabric" to make a maxi dress. Fearless! Fabulous!


And I have come to the conclusion that I need to stop being such a wimp, relying on shop-bought patterns all the time. Surely I have enough experience to draft a simple top?


So... um... watch this space! You can all laugh and point if it all goes horribly wrong! :)

14 comments:

didyoumakethat said...

I have a creeping suspicion you will be very good at drafting a top!

Kestrel said...

Oh good luck! I'm coming to the same conclusion that I need to try pattern drafting, after wanting to re-create a skirt (or at least 'the spirit' of the skirt).

Sarah said...

So envious! I have no talent where sewing is concerned....and certainly no creative ability!!

Lucette said...

I have been enjoying your outfits all week long. I think that you could draft up something special too.

Amy said...

No laughing, but cheering you on every step of the way. I've been too chicken to try that myself, and need to get over it too!

Lizzi said...

Go girl, go! Take a risk - live life on the (scissor) edge!!

good luck.

Cathy said...

I would put money on you being brilliant at it!

Debi said...

woot! woot! Go get 'em!

christinelaennec said...

It seems to me that you are so adept at REdrafting patterns, that starting from scratch ought to be relatively easy!

Steph said...

Very cool, and you'll be shocked how not-hard it is!

Ali said...

Yes, you can! I love the idea of drafting tops -- find one that fits you perfectly and trace it :) I've been obsessed with the book, Pattermaking for Perfect Fit that shows you the "rub off" method using an existing garment. Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Roobeedoo said...

So many votes of confidence, what could I do but give it a whirl? :)

Segwyne said...

Of course you can draft a pattern from scratch. You have done some pretty amazing things already. I learned how to draft patterns from this book http://www.amazon.com/Costume-Technicians-Handbook-Complete-Professional/dp/0435086103/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1308229012&sr=1-2 I didn't pay anywhere near that price, and it looks like they have a new edition out, but it walks you through step-by-step on how to take your measurements and draft a pattern from them. Tops, sleeves, skirts, pants, collars, everything. It is my go-to book for drafting.

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you for that book recommendation, Segwyne!