Thursday, July 21, 2011

FO: Box-Pleat Self-Penned Tee

While I was making my purple self-drafted top, it occurred to me that the pleats at the neck would look good" inside out". This red version has been buzzing around my head ever since, particularly since my purple top has become a real wardrobe staple for both work and weekend wear.



I had the day off on Monday, as The Girl was flying to London. When I got home from the airport, I vacuumed the dog hair off the floor and set to work. Two hours later, it was done : )


Stats:
Pattern: Self-drafted ; )



Fabric: About 80cm of red cotton jersey from Croft Mill @ £5.25 per metre.

The Sewing:

This fabric is heavier than my purple version. It is almost an interlock jersey: really dense. As a result, I found my "vari-lock" stitching caused a rippling effect to the seams. Gentle stretching seems to have rectified this, but it was a worrying process. I opted for "Universal Stitch" for the hems and neckline, which seemed to add much-needed stability.


I decided to use Fold-Over Elastic to finish the neck, as the back of my purple version tends to stick out a bit and would benefit from being pulled in a little. I used the matt side of the FOE as the right side, which meant the slippery satin sides were being folded together... oops!

There was some... squirrelly muttering. It's still not perfect, but it is perfectly wearable.


Verdict?
Strangely, this top feels bigger than the purple one, even though I know it is absolutely the same size. It must be the thicker fabric.


The central pleat could perhaps be wider, and the outermost pleats feel superfluous.

But I like it!


It's good to have a plain-coloured top which has all the comfort of a tee shirt, with an interesting neckline. I like being able to wear it to work with a splash of vintage jewellery, or at the weekend over jeans.


Would I make it again?


Highly likely... but not for a while. It's time to move on to something else, now that I have cut my self-drafting teeth!


Styling Credits:



Seasalt Working Boats skirt



Vintage pen-nib earrings from Altered Eras at Etsy (UK seller)


Besame lipstick in Dusty Rose


In case you're wondering... I did order the Howies cardigan but it was too long in the body to wear with a skirt, so I sent it back. It was lovely though!

12 comments:

ashley0107 said...

Gorgeous colour, and I love what you've done with the neckline! :)
Ashley x

didyoumakethat said...

You look BEAUTIFUL, truly beautiful. I love the top. I can't imagine having the talent to draft something so lovely. The colour is fab on you and goes with your glasses and I love that shade of lipstick, too. Oh, to have cheekbones like yours!

Steph said...

What a cool top. I think you're right, it's the heavier fabric. "Squirrely muttering," once again thanks for the laugh. hehe.

Lysy said...

It looks great - I really like the neckline detail and the colour looks fab on you :)

Dibs said...

its pretty Roo. The colour definitely suits you. You inspired me to make some undies lol...I've done a post about them on my blog.

Siga said...

That's a very nice tee. Well done!

Jane said...

I'm with Karen, you look beautiful in that colour, it's a very lovely top, you clever thing. And yes, I'd love to have cheekbones like yours or even to have cheekbones at all! x

Tanit-Isis said...

Ooh, fun! Different knits all seem to make different size shirts---depending on the fabric my TNT long-sleeve tee needs to be taken in up to two inches each side, and the sleeves range from almost to my thumb to not even hitting my wrist bone. Kinda frustrating, really. Liable to provoke squirelly muttering even without misbehaving elastic.

It looks SUPER good, though, congrats on your draftswomanship! Also, I love those pen-nib earrings. They remind me of the earrings my uncle made me once, out of old hand-forged nails he found around the farm... hmm, I have a box of old dip-pen nibs somewhere...

Amy said...

Ha! I was going to say the same thing as the others. That color REALLY suits you. Pretty top!

Minnado said...

I love the top and am sitting here fiddling about, pleating the neck of the top I am wearing as I read and wondering whether I can make a pleat neck top. great colour on you too.

feresaknit said...

The top looks great and I love the colour to. :D

Roobeedoo said...

Oh my! So many compliments! Thank you! :D