Thursday, July 14, 2011

Holiday Wardrobe with a Side of Salty Culture

It's not long until FL and I go off on our exotic summer holiday to the West Coast - woo hoo!





I don't usually take many clothes on holiday, as I try to limit my packing to one backpack, a knitting bag, and my... ahem... sewing machine! Priorities, people!


But since I have just bought a new skirt, it makes sense to take it with me, and make sure I have tops that go with it... even if I am making them while I am there!


Does anyone else sew on holiday? It's such fun setting up a workshop in a strange house!


I finally cracked and bought the Seasalt "working boats" print skirt, when they emailed me a 30% discount code. It had been on my wishlist for months! What makes it special enough to break my "me-made only" pledge? It's that dobby dot texture on organic cotton. And the velvet ribbon waistband. And best of all, the print reminds me of Peter Anson's work.





Who?


Peter Anson.


He was an artist who spent much of his life on the Moray coast, painting and drawing the fishing boats and villages of the area... before he decided to become a monk. Fascinating chap!


You can learn more about him here.


Or buy prints here.



Anyway... back to the sewing(!)


My white Lisette top is the skirt's perfect textural twin so I will pack that.

I have already cut out a white hooded t-shirt which will look great with this print: kind of sporty?

And I have some red cotton jersey to make another pleated-neck top.




I may have popped a matching scarf into my shopping basket... ;)
Goodness me - I do believe it is a capsule collection!





The final item I might add is a new shop-bought cardigan.


Sharp inhalation - Roo! How can you even suggest buying a cardigan?!

Because the sales are on. And by the time I knit something to go with my new outfit(s), it will no longer be new.

This one is by Howies and is reduced to £29. It is ethically produced and made of organic cotton.


Perfect!


If anyone so much as whispers "retail therapy" they will get the sharp side of my tongue!

P.S. FL succeeded in getting his blood drawn today. Let's hope his sample makes it into the courier bag to Birmingham, eh?

12 comments:

Lorna said...

Loving the nautical theme, it is the perfect Summer holiday outfit. How about capri pants too? Very Una Stubbs. (Or is that just my weird fantasy?)

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Love the skirt, don't take a sewi g machine but will be taking a spinning wheel, 4 drop spindles and knitting

Annie said...

That skirt is just lovely, and so utterly 'summer'! Have fun wearing it :)

faeriecollege said...

Oooh, I'm not sure I'd've been able to resist that cardigan either!

You've such great style, Roo. I'm sort of jealous.

Have fun on vacation!

Twelfthknit said...

My sewing mojo has come back but I don't think I'll be taking my machine to Cyprus on Saturday. My new linen trousers with Amy Butler cuffs were complimented by a complete stranger today Woot!

christinelaennec said...

That's a fab capsule wardrobe! And I love the cardigan. I haven't taken a sewing machine on holiday, but usually about a suitcase full of knitting, handsewing, and other crafty/artistic supplies - equal to at least one sewing machine.

Katherine said...

Are we style sisters or something? I ordered this skirt too last night because of the discount, then just as I'd finished that the Howies sale email came through and I was eyeing up that same cardigan. Didn't got for it in the end though.

christinelaennec said...

P.S. I meant to say how interesting to learn about Peter Anson. Did he become a monk at Pluscarden Abbey?

Paula said...

I had to do the currency conversion--Wow--$46! That's a lot! but it's a cute sweater and will pair well with the skirt & lots of stuff!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your packing philosophy and the specifics of your vacation wardrobe. If we are travelling by car I do take my sewing machine and cut out fabrics to sew on vacation. I also take sock knitting with me to make wait and travel time feel useful. Enjoy your trip. Be well, all of you.

Sandy said...

With all your "Me-Made" things and the money you saved on those, you deserve a splurge for holiday! Intending it is relaxing, soothing, restful and loads of other adjectives symbolizing this special trip for you and FL...

Roobeedoo said...

Hee! I wonder what FL would say if I said I was taking a spinning wheel on holiday, Ambermoggie? Maybe I should learn to spin!

My new skirt arrived and is lovely - hooray! I ordered the cardi but I am having second thoughts: I can always send it straight back if it doesn't seem worth the £s. I think clothes must be cheaper in the States. £29 seems about the average high street cardi price here.

More on Peter Anson's religious side here, Christine: http://liamdevlin.tripod.com/nunraw/peteranson.htm