Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Lunch with Jessamine



It was such a sunny weekend. The Girl and I spent some time lolling on the trampoline reading our books. I finished The Cookbook Collector, and now I am bereft: I miss Jess, one of the main characters. I really enjoyed having her around my head! She was vegan and enjoyed wholewheat bread with avocado and sprouts* for lunch. And peaches: she loved a good ripe peach. I can relate to that!



On Saturday, I rustled up this freshest of summer salsas. For Jess and I. ('Cos let's face it, fruit in a savoury dish does not appeal to anyone else in this house.)



The recipe actually came from my Slow Cooking book: probably one of the last places you might expect to find a tangy mouthful of summer sunshine!



Summer Salsa

Chop these:

1 crisp red apple - mine was a Pink Lady!

4 spring onions

1 avocado

1 fat red chilli

8 radishes - mine were purple!

A handful of fresh leaf coriander or basil

Dress with:

The juice and zest of 1 lime

1/2 teaspoon agave syrup (or honey, if you're not vegan: Jess doesn't like the idea of "indentured bees")

You could eat this with roast beast if that's your thing. But some freshly baked seedy bread would do fine for Jess and me.


*Sprouts as in "sprouted seed or pulses" NOT the brussels variety... though I suppose you could...

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

That sounds absolutely yummy! I adore apples in a salad, and avocados are good in anything!
I enjoyed all your outfits in MMJ, and your photos. You live in a truly beautiful area.

faeriecollege said...

That's so funny, I just got started on the Cookbook Collector! It seems I have lots to look forward to ;)

Scruffybadger said...

That just eeks freshness & energy! Sounds luscious

Minnado said...

That sounds delicious. My slow cooker is languishing unloved in the cupboard. Maybe it's time to pull it out again. And thanks for the book recommendation, I have reserved The Cookbook Collector at my local library! I love online library catalogues (but then I am very square).

Lizzi said...

Yummy yummy in my tummy!