Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Shoes for Arietty

While I was thinking about making Ginger skirts and my tendency to look out-of-proportion in a-lines, I was reminded of some wonderful Borrowers-inspired shoes I spotted.



They are sadly out of my price bracket, but they are so lovely, I thought you would like to see!




They are all from Fairysteps.














Their maker also has a lovely blog. She has been crochetting gorgeous cushion-covers recently :)


She makes bags and belts too.


I am kicking myself because she had a pair of shoes in my size reduced to half price because of a slight discolouration on one toe. I prevaricated for too long and someone else bought them - sob!


When I was a student in Leeds, I had a wonderful pair of red handmade leather ankle boots, from a shop called "Made To Last". That shop is long gone, as are the boots: I wore them into the ground and a local shoe-repairer could not reverse the damage.






If I did not work in a fairly conservative environment, I would buy a pair of these and wear them every day.


I will have to save that treat for when I move to Hebden Bridge to live on a canal boat and keep cats.


I will knit and read and drink herbal tea all day.


I might even crochet some cushions :)

13 comments:

ashley0107 said...

Lovely shoes! Living on a canal boat sounds lovely :)
Ashley x

daisydonut said...

Wow, how fabulous are those teal shoes with the brown spotty ribbon? And living on a canal boat sounds like bliss.

Twelfthknit said...

Life is too short for conservative footwear. Wear 'em and to hell with it!

Minnado said...

What gorgeous shoes, specially the last ones with brown spotty ribbon. I think you should splurge or at least keep an eye for the next time she has some reduced ones again.
You are making me remember how much I loved the Borrowers as a child. I have to try reading it with my son now.

Melinda Jackson said...

I'll wave to you from the tow path at Hebden Bridge (not too far from here and a favourite place for an day out)!

For skirt hems, I'll pass on a tip I learned a good few years ago. If you are making any changes to a hem or shape of a skirt, always make sure the side (or panel) seams are at right angles to the hem, then the skirt will hang well.

Love the shoes too!

Katherine said...

I LOVE these shoes. When I was a teenager my mum got some shoes from Made to Last (we lived near Leeds in Ilkley) and I thought they were awful and really hippyish. But now I've grown up I love shoes like this. Yes, you do grow into your mother.

Sue Sharp said...

Oh, oh, oh, Verity is in stock in my size. Hang on, I'm just going to mug someone for £108...

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sue, just go rob a liquor (sp) store and plead temporary insanity. Let's all live on boats and knit all day drinking tea. I have been looking at shoe making web sites lately. If we make socks how hard can shoes be?

Alice

Sandy said...

A very long time ago, perhaps when horses had toes, I went on a lovely holiday with me Pa and his wife and my brother and his wife and my husband on the canal boats... loved the message, "This vessel cannot pass under Potter-Heigham Bridge without a pilot." (I may have misspelled the bridge name...) But I definitely like the idea of having cats and living on a canal boat... and having exotic shoes!

faeriecollege said...

Ooooh!! I hear you about the conservative work environment. Shoes like that would be great! Really properly fantastic.

christinelaennec said...

These are fab - and long live Arietty! One of my most-loved fictional characters. Re. working in a conservative environment: on my last, hectic, half-day of work before holidays I never had a chance to change out of my white-with-flowers summer shoes. They created quite an uproar, mostly along the lines of "Well we can see you're *already* on holiday!" BUT don't we work to live? Go for the shoes, for the rest of your life!

Scruffybadger said...

A bit late in the day - but at least I can say that Potter Heigham bridge (not even sure I've spelt it correctly) was where we got fouled up on a family boating holiday on the Broads ... we have fond memories (well, my Dad doesn't, he was rather embarrassed at not being in control of his vessel!) We could probably have done with a pilot for our boat. But living on the water for a week was bliss. Anyway, adorable shoes - I do particularly like the turquoise & ribbon variety

Roobeedoo said...

Well how interesting - there are lots of other mad-shoe-fans out there! And Hebden Bridge fans too?! I am definitely going to have to work up the courage for a pair of big-button shoes in purple! Thought spotty ribbons are very appealing too...
Christine - I think you need to keep them on their toes with a few more mad accessories! ;)