Monday, August 22, 2011

FO: Daisy Baby Shoes

Baby Number One of 2011 has been born and I was forced to kick myself hard and make something quickly to celebrate her birth.

It is not little E's fault that I am having a mid-life crisis.

My recent flirtation with crochet  (roses for my tea cosy and pillowcase edging) made me think I might crochet a little blanket.  But there is no such thing as a "little" blanket, even if it is baby-sized!

 So I had a rummage around Ravelry and came up with this pattern: Flower Motif Baby Shoes by Lisa van Klaveren.

The parents are pretty traditional and rather well-off so I wanted to make something "hand-made" as opposed to "home-made".  Something that looks like it came from a baby boutique.

A plain cardigan would have taken longer to make  and would probably have ended up at the back of the cupboard, unworn.  If nothing else, I can imagine these being used to decorate the Farrow-and-Ball-painted nursery!

My crochet skills are pretty basic, but I got to grips with this pattern in an evening.  The sole was easily done, and it only took two attempts to understand the floral motif and its "double clusters".  My trusty "Blueprint Crochet" book was by my side throughout, and was a great help, even though the pattern instructions are written long-hand (in American crochet terminology).


Stats:
One ball Sirdar Baby Bamboo
4mm crochet hook
 
Pattern: Flower Motif Baby Shoes by Lisa van Klaveren.



Verdict?


Too cute!  I think these make a good gift for a baby girl.

And it was a great pattern for improving my crochet skills.  I can feel myself itching to make a crochet blanket now.  But for FL and me, not someone else's baby!

16 comments:

Annie said...

Oh, they're gorgeous! I keep saying this, but I so have to get to grips with crochet!

Urban Rustic said...

I don't think your crochet skills need improving if you can produce such lovely little bootees like these.Start that blanket now!

Kestrel said...

Aw, so lovely! I'm doing a beginners crochet class this weekend, so it's good to see a cute pattern I can hope to aim for one day.

shivani said...

these are just TOO TOO gorgeous. I have a brand new neice, so might give this pattern a go too (but I have very basic crochet skills!)

lizzi said...

How cute are they!

Nikki said...

I'd have been really happy if some had made them for my DD when she was born - they are fab! As for hand knitted cardis you can't beat them for babies, all 3 of mine wore them and I can't believe anyone would relagate them to the back of the wardrobe.

Amy said...

Those are the sweetest little things ever! Well done!

Big Alice said...

Oh, those are adorable! I will have to try a pair; they are so cute.

feresaknit said...

They are beyond cute! :D

Scruffybadger said...

Wow! They are just too cute for words - what a great baby gift ... I shall have to store this one away..could be very useful to appear as if I make gifts for others!
Do you think they are scaleable to a 4?

Jane said...

Probably the cutest and most beautiful baby gift I've ever seen. x

Sandy said...

Even after they've been outgrown they will still have a place for display and later may be used on some baby doll that little girl has... precious gift!

Roobeedoo said...

Hooray - the shoes were a big hit with the family concerned! I will definitely make these again!

Helen@baby shoes said...

They don't look like a basic pattern to someone with my skills!

Jacqueline Degnan said...

Do you have a pattern for these, they are gorgeous and I would love to try them for my baby girl's first shoes.

Roobeedoo said...

Jacqueline - if you click on the words "Flower motif", it takes you to the pattern page on Ravelry. happy crochet-ing!