Take this s-lime green floral cotton, with fine-line illustrations of chandeliers, for example. I tried to make it into a dress, a sort of a-line pleat-fronted pinafore. I cut it out three years ago, and then it sat there, on top of my sewing machine, refusing to be stitched.
On Sunday, when woollen shorts were just not going to happen, it caught my eye. I fell upon it, sliced it up, and made a pillowcase.
The resulting object will have its detractors, I know.
But it is mine... and I have made my bed and I will lie on it!
This is why it works:I have a leaf-green lampshade to match. In fact, it could almost be called a leafy chandelier!
Somewhere in the depths of my wardrobe there is a 16-year-old patchwork quilt-top that I need to finish. It is the same shade of green, with primrose yellow and a deep rosey pink.
Sometimes, things just come together.
Unknown quantity of unknown designer quilting cotton, rescued from an Amy Butler dress tunic pattern. I think I bought it from Nerybeth Fabrics.
Sirdar Snuggly Baby Bamboo dk yarn, from the stash.
What I did:
Drew round a pillowcase and added enough to make an inside flap / pocket on one side. Sewed it together, hemming the ends.
Hand-stitched a row of blanket-stitch round the open end, using the dk yarn.
Half-double-crochetted one round (US crochet instructions for name of stitch.)
Then worked one round of: "single half-double-crochet into one stitch, then three double-crochets into the next stitch". This caused the edging to frill. This was not my intention, but I like it! And yes, I know why it happened.