Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Self-Stitched September: The Vintage Pledge

'I, Roobeedoo of http://www.roobeedoo.blogspot.com, sign up as a participant of Self-Stitched-Sept '11. I endeavour to wear only me-made and vintage clothing each day for the duration of September 2011'

Woo hoo!
Do you see what I have signed up for?  TheVintage Look! 
Adding the words "and vintage clothing" to my pledge allows me to wear my two new vintage cashmere cardigans - forsooth!  I have been meaning to blog about them ever since they arrived, all the way from Vancouver.
No wonder you get a stiff neck, girl!
  And why does your hair look so grey?
My kind bloggy knit-friend, Gabrielle, found herself in the desperately sad position of having to clear out her m-i-l's house after she died earlier this year.  In the process, she came across a collection of vintage cashmere knitwear... and thought of me!  I cannot express how amazed, grateful and happy I was to receive her email, offering me first choice from the collection.  After careful consideration, I chose a dark heathered green twinset and a brighter pea-green cardigan.  I knew that these were the things I would be most likely to wear and cherish.
This is like one of those colour-swatch experiments!
I look ten years younger in this shade of green!
Both items were made in Scotland, especially for a Vancouver store, probably in the late 1950's / early 1960's, judging from the styles.  The twinset is definitely older, and has a very narrow waist.  It would be fab with a circle skirt!  The pea-green cardigan has quite a perky Una Stubbs vibe, with its gold buttons and interesting collar feature - I imagine it worn with capri pants, cat's eye sunglasses and a headscarf in an open-top sports car!

I have never owned anything made of 100% cashmere and I have been keeping these tightly secured in ziplock bags for fear of moth damage.

SSS seems like the ideal time to get over my instinct to "archive" these beautiful garments, and bring them into everyday circulation.  They are so wonderfully soft and warm and add a whole new dash of class to my self-stitched wardrobe!

So - Gabrielle, if you are reading this:  thank you once again!  I have a plan for a return gift... but it is still at the gestational stage!  ; )

And roll on Self-Stitched September!

3 comments:

Ozzy Blackbeard said...

They are gorgeous! I LOVE the pea green one. And I am so getting the Una Stubbs vibe!

Yarny Days said...

So cute! Great color on you...

Scruffybadger said...

Woo hoo what a motivational pledge!! And the cashmere darling is to die for. .... They look fab on you :-)