Sunday, August 14, 2011

Sewing Impasse

 

I  have had Simplicity 2654 in my sewing queue since seeing these trousers over on Flickr.  Gorgeous, yes?

But every time I pick up the pattern envelope I find myself sighing in a dis-satisfied way at the 90's-ness of the look.  And even though I know it can be overcome, because I have seen the evidence with my own eyes, I end up putting the pattern back in the box and picking up my knitting instead.

On Friday, I went one step further and cut out the shorts version, using a 1-metre remnant of  navy / black wool.  I was all set to sew, when the post arrived and what should I find in the Brora catalogue, but a terribly 1990's-esque pair of tailored shorts (£109).  It was enough to put me off. 

My daughter thinks there is no way I will ever wear these shorts, even if I make them, because they are too casual for work and too smart for home:  "and you never go out, so there's no point in saving them for that!"  I was trying to view them as a wearable muslin (to check the size before I make the trouser version) and had every intention of wearing them to the office with thick tights and my two-tone brogues.  But now I just don't know.

So I am stuck.

Maybe I will make some pillowcases instead.  That's a nice safe project from the backwoods of my queue!  I am going to crochet lace edges onto them, like these.  And I promise not to take them to work.

9 comments:

ashley0107 said...

Oh dear, is it bad that I actually really like them? And I could totally see myself wearing them with thick tights and my new brogues as you suggest in the winter. Hmm, I may have to add the pattern to my wishlist. . .
Go for it! :)
Ashley x

Karie B. said...

Ahhhh! Formal shorts! The ladies at my old work wore them a lot - I have never been sure about them since. Sorry. Not helping.

Myrna said...

Just sew them and see what happens. I'm pretty sure you can carry this off.

Jane said...

The trousers from that pattern are top of my sewing list once the kids go back to school (I fell in love with the same Flickr version too). You can see how they turn out through me!

Sandy said...

Perhaps sew them a little longer than the usual hem line and then you might find them more work-able for work...???

Scruffybadger said...

I'm afraid I can't be much help because I've had zero sewing time - & am also at a standstill - next step is the buttonholes- I just want to sew something simple & quick!

Urban Rustic said...

sewing impasse time for me too and I even deleted my blog for awhile as I couldn't see the point!But!!You have mentioned this pattern before and I remembered that I had it,dug it out and have made three pairs of the trousers for myself and daughter.They are the comfiest trousers I have ever made and I don't think they look 90's at all.So do give them a go.

Roobeedoo said...

Urban Rustic - oh please come back to blogland! Your Me Made June was lovely! Thnaks for the vote of confidence on the trouser pattern. Maybe I should just run up the shorts (since they are cut and ready to sew) and consider them a "muslin" in preparation for the trousers.

Urban Rustic said...

Thanks for comment and about to post blurred pics of my efforts if you care to look!!!!