Saturday, September 03, 2011

Dresses from the 60's Movies: Japanese pattern book


 
When I saw the new Colette patterns, I suddenly remembered that I had a Japanese pattern book which referenced the same style / period.

Fascinating Dresses from the Memorable 60's Movies:  "Have you ever wished to be glamorous like them?"

Designed by Yukiko Ueno

ISBN4-579-10691-1
It was one of the first Japanese sewing books I bought, at a time when my skills were still a bit rusty and my sense of what might fit or suit me... somewhat unclear.
At the time, I made a shell top in size large, using some violently patterned cotton I found in the farmhouse when I moved in. It was too short and too wide... and I recycled it into a cushion cover.
Isn't it funny how one bad sewing experience can take the shine off something pretty?

Looking through the book again, I am still excited by the bateau neckline of this back-buttoned top.  Maybe I should give it another try, in a smaller size, and adding a few inches to the length.

The book is organised by film star inspiration, with 4 garments in each section:  Greta Garbo, Brigitte Bardot, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn and Grace Kelly.  Wow!  Talk about style credentials!

And guess what?  There is a pattern for a pair of Audrey Hepburn cropped trousers!  Just like the ones I thought Colette was going to design.
So you can guess what I am doing this weekend, can't you?
Using black cotton stretch sateen from the stash.
And including lots of measuring!

3 comments:

Urban Rustic said...

What wonderful dresses..I love the one on the cover! Enjoy your week end of sewing.

christinelaennec said...

Those are super trousers, I can't wait to see them on you! (Will you get a headscarf and wee poodle to go with them, as in the photo?)

Sølvi said...

I am loving this book! My wishlist on amazon keeps getting longer and longer....