Sunday, September 04, 2011

FO: Audrey-inspired trousers

The first finished object for my new Audrey Hepburn-inspired "look"! 
One pair of narrow-legged, high-waisted trousers in black stretch cotton sateen... a little bit shinier than I might prefer.  But I am hoping that these trousers will work for "day to evening wear" as I have a conference to attend later in the week - eek!

I decided to make them longer than the original as I think I will wear them more often this way... especially since it is September already!


Not a bad fit considering I was working from a Japanese pattern and had no idea what size it was other than "medium".

I used grosgrain ribbon to stabilise the inside of the waistband.





 
Stats:
Pattern:  A3 from "Dresses from the 60's Movies" ISBN4-579-10691-1

Fabric:  Less than 2 metres of black stretch cotton sateen from Favourite Fabrics at eeebaay

Other notions:  1 metre grosgrain ribbon; 1 x 9 inch zip;  2 hooks-and-eyes.


 





How was the sewing?

No problems... unless you count the fact that I put the zip in the right side seam instead of the left.  But why be conventional?!

The fabric was really easy to work with.

I traced the pattern and cut the fabric on Saturday.

The stitching was fast and easy.

 









Verdict?

This is exactly the pair of trousers I wanted to make and wear. I spent far too long looking for a similar vintage pattern on Etsy before I remembered this design, lurking in the depths of a book full of frocks.

Would I make this pattern again? I think so... but I would definitely stick to a fabric with a little bit of stretch. Maybe a wool / lycra mix for a warmer version?

Now I am all fired up to make some 60's-style tops!  Woo hoo!

13 comments:

Debi said...

LOVE these trousers! Such a classy look! YAY! Can't wait to see some 60's style tops :)

ashley0107 said...

Lovely! They're so stylish :) I can't wait to see the tops!
Ashley x

Scruffybadger said...

ELegant, graceful. They are the business. Love them and can't wait to see what you put with them ;-)

Annie said...

Great trousers, truly! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the new look :)

Jane said...

Fab strides, they're totally Audrey-esque and suit you perfectly. x

Urban Rustic said...

wonderful!!

Roisin Muldoon said...

These are so ELEGANT, and they suit you perfectly!

faeriecollege said...

Wow, you look fantastic! They're perfect for your figure.

tim's wife said...

Very flattering on you Roo. Like them ALOT!!!
Denise

Minnado said...

They looks so chic and lovely. I thik they will fit in well with your me-made tops too. x

Sølvi said...

These are so pretty- really nice and wearable! Good job! :-)

Susie Hemingway said...

Very lovely trousers and the perfect look for you. It seems you are able to copy many of the styles and wonder if you have seen the company called Toast @ www.toast.co.uk they have some lovely items and when browsing this site I thought how much some of these outfits would suit you. Take a look when you have a moment (I have no connection to them btw)
all best wishes. Susie.

Amy said...

You look smashing in your new trousers! Well done!