Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fresh Ginger: Squeezed and Hung

This weekend I made a start on my winter Ginger skirt, using the teal wool I bought in Glasgow.
I had expected to have loads of lee-way  with my fabric because this time it was 60" wide and I bought a whole 90cm.  Last time I managed to make it with 45" wide x 85cm.

But the shop assistant in Mandors did not take enough care when cutting this rather expensive fabric.  I noticed at the time that it was folded and wrapped round a flat cardboard support.  There wasn't much left on the roll, so in retrospect I should have asked her to take the whole piece off the cardboard to cut my length... because she pulled it off at an angle, and cut it as it lay, without checking the grainline.  As a result, I lost almost 10 of my precious 90cm.  My yellow tape measure marks the missing piece in the lower layer of the fabric, and you can see what I lost on the upper layer to the left of the picture.  Sigh.

So once again I found myself squeezing a skirt out of insufficient yardage.  I had just enough to cut the bias version in size 2... so once again I was forced to take 1cm seams.  If I ever succeed in making a  size 4 Ginger skirt with the full seam allowance it will be a miracle!

I wasn't sure whether the bias-cut wool might stretch out and distort the shape, so I have sewn the front and side seams and attached the lining to the outer waistband, leaving the whole thing to hang for a while to do its worst before I add the zip or hem.  It will probably be there til next weekend... which gives me time to do some knitting : )

FL Update:
The man is surviving.  He is not enjoying the concept of "taking it easy" but sheer exhaustion has driven him to his chair instead of the golf club this weekend.  He fell asleep while the farm labourer was chain-sawing a tree for firewood and woke to discover he can't see Bennachie out of the window anymore because there are logs in the way - oops!

He now has two hearing aids... but can't tell which is left and which is right, so we are having some teething troubles with those.  I spend a lot of time on my hands and knees retrieving them from underneath his chair when he drops them, trying to see which is which.  New glasses next, I think!

9 comments:

Lizzi said...

I am glad he is taking it easy - however enforced.

We have just laid some logs in too. A friend offered us some if we cleared them from his garden - absolutely!! and for the first time this year i collected pine cones when out walking today - great kindlers.

Scruffybadger said...

LoOking good though. It'll be lovely in that wool. It's a shame cos that's expensive fabric, no? Glad fl's resting even if people are playing tricks with his surroundings ( must be unnerving!!)

RooKnits said...

Can you put a spot of nail varnish on one of the hearing aids so you know left from right?

Roobeedoo said...

Roo - you are a genius! They are supposed to have little lights: red for right and blue for left, but they aren't working!

Anonymous said...

I love it when you mention Bennachie - it takes me back to when we lived in Kintore. When we moved to Lanarkshire, we named our house Bennachie. Now I'm on the other side of the world in NZ, it's lovely to be taken back to Aberdeenshire.

Hoping your FL is feeling a bit better now he's home.

ScottieJill on Rav

Gabrielle said...

I truly feel your pain when it comes to grain and poor fabric cutting. This has happened a lot to me lately and it is just so frustrating. I've been trying to make a series of 1m x fabric width cotton flannel, double sided, receiving blankets for Spud, only to find that with poor cutting and pre-wash shrinkage (which I allow for in my fabric length request), I'm often short so all my ACME blankets are ending up different sizes. A bit of a pain as I'd intended to stitch them into a playmat/bedcover (depending on how well they survive) as soon as they are outgrown!

Anonymous said...

Could I leave a hearing aid tip for you both? My mother was given a nice clue to adjusting to hearing aids. She was told to read the paper out loud to herself for a while daily to get used to listening and comprehending sound with hearing aides. We think it seemed to help her tolerate the new sounds and distinguish voices.

Roobeedoo said...

Anonymous - thank you! All hearing aid tips gratefully received! FL is still getting used to being able to hear his own wheezy breathing, never mind someone talking to him. It's definitely a learning curve!

Alessa said...

Good luck with the hearing aids!

That teal wool Ginger is beautiful! I've also had some problems with off-grain cut fabric. Curiously, it only happens in the higher-end fabric shops, at the fabric market they usually rip rather than cut...