This weekend I made a start on my winter Ginger skirt, using the teal wool I bought in Glasgow.I had expected to have loads of lee-way with my fabric because this time it was 60" wide and I bought a whole 90cm. Last time I managed to make it with 45" wide x 85cm.
But the shop assistant in Mandors did not take enough care when cutting this rather expensive fabric. I noticed at the time that it was folded and wrapped round a flat cardboard support. There wasn't much left on the roll, so in retrospect I should have asked her to take the whole piece off the cardboard to cut my length... because she pulled it off at an angle, and cut it as it lay, without checking the grainline. As a result, I lost almost 10 of my precious 90cm. My yellow tape measure marks the missing piece in the lower layer of the fabric, and you can see what I lost on the upper layer to the left of the picture. Sigh.
So once again I found myself squeezing a skirt out of insufficient yardage. I had just enough to cut the bias version in size 2... so once again I was forced to take 1cm seams. If I ever succeed in making a size 4 Ginger skirt with the full seam allowance it will be a miracle!
The man is surviving. He is not enjoying the concept of "taking it easy" but sheer exhaustion has driven him to his chair instead of the golf club this weekend. He fell asleep while the farm labourer was chain-sawing a tree for firewood and woke to discover he can't see Bennachie out of the window anymore because there are logs in the way - oops!
He now has two hearing aids... but can't tell which is left and which is right, so we are having some teething troubles with those. I spend a lot of time on my hands and knees retrieving them from underneath his chair when he drops them, trying to see which is which. New glasses next, I think!