Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Oh My Darling Seraphine

I don't think I ever shared the enormity of the single skein of yarn which is slowly becoming my Seraphine capelet.
It weighed a pound and was the size of a football.
Even now, with the cabled back section almost complete, I can't hold the remaining yarn in one hand.
This is such a satisfying knit.
I love how the cables interweave in a logical sequence down the centre, but meander more freely down the sides.
And the wool... the wool is so natural.  So sheepy.
In nine rows' time I will be ready to start the first garter stitch side section - exciting!
I don't know if I will ever want to knit commercially-spun wool again.

8 comments:

Sølvi said...

Oh my gosh, this looks gorgeous! The cables kind of looks like the root of an old tree, they are wonderful. And that yarn sounds interesting...A pound? That is one heavy skein!

Steph said...

Gorgeous. Is it hand-spun? You're such an accomplished, patient knitter!

Roobeedoo said...

Steph - yes, I bought it from the spinner in a shed at the side of the road in the Scottish highlands!

Lizzi said...

I love hand-spun wool - as you say, it's so well....sheepy - I'm getting all poetic now but it seems to have much more character (how can wool have character?) and hand-dyed is great too - always a wee secret to unfold as you knit. I'm going to stop now.........

Annie said...

This is divine :) And I know what you mean about yarns like this!

Sigrid said...

Gorgeous, hand-spun seems to have a different energy doesn't it?

Urban Rustic said...

The cables look so wonderful with their intertwining.It must be so satisfying to get them right!My sister spins,weaves and knits with the wool from fleeces from her own sheep and alpacas.

faeriecollege said...

That is exciting. And so, so lovely. One can practically feel the sheepy-ness through the computer. Can't wait to see more of it!