Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Complementary Knitting

 Oh the joy!  Seraphine will rise again!  90g of grey gotland has arrived from the roadside shed in the Highlands and I have cast on for the West Wing - woo hoo!
While I was waiting, I could not resist making a start on the Ashby Shawl.  But I am a silly fool.  I did not pay sufficient attention to the chart key and I decided that all of my wrong side rows were inside out:  I knitted where I should have purled and vice versa.  "Sigh," thought I.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiip!  And then I looked at this photo again and I wasn't so sure... so I may have ripped out an entire chart's worth of perfectly good knitting.

Moving on...
I needed a project to knit on the train to Glasgow, so cast on for a sock.

It is the Retro Rib pattern from Favorite Socks.  The yarn is Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the colourway "S.W.A.K" and I am delighted to have hit the sweet spot in the dye repeat - woo hoo!  64 stitches on 2.75mm dpns gives me this spiralling stripe of loveliness.

Remind me of those numbers the next time I am spitting fire at Lorna's Laces for pooling and splotching ; )

This was supposed to be a Christmas gift sock, but the colour isn't what I thought it was when I saw it in the skein.  This is quite a girlie-looking sock.  I am not sure that it ticks the box for an FL-sock or a Boy-sock.  And The Girl doesn't do brown.  So I may have to pause after sock one to prioritise my gift knitting.  Because despite all my resolutions about not knitting for non-believers*, I still feel the urge.

The List

For The Boy:  a Stephen West Man-Shawl
For His Girl: a stunningly blue hat to set off her shockingly pink hair
For FL:  a pair of Sock Hop handspun socks:  rustic and manly, just like himself!
For The Girl:  I can't say here because she might read it, even though we have promised not to read each other's blogs!  Hello girl! ; )
For My Mother:  OK... I might not knit anything for Grandma this year because it never seems to be the right thing (*too scratchy / hot / funny colour / modern-looking) and she is perfectly capable of knitting  her own black acrylic ribbed hats.  Or maybe I will relent and knit her a nice soft natural-fibre hat from a vintage pattern (*old-fashioned looking). Pffft!

Oh dear.  I think my list is longer than my available knitting time - again!

6 comments:

faeriecollege said...

Yay for Seraphine! That's good to hear :D

You're a braver soul than I for knitting Christmas gifts. I'm never doing it again. Nevereverever.

Annie said...

Oh the perils of Christmas knitting! Good luck ;D

Sigrid said...

I'm impressed at your fortitude in gift- knitting. Knitting for guys can be such a buzz-kill. My eldest keeps giving me more and more hat parameters: gauge must be small and tight, hat brims must fold over, no solids except grey and black. No natural fiber neck warmers etc. etc. But they do seem to wear most anything on the feet. I'm really impressed that your son might wear a Man-Shawl

Scruffybadger said...

You mean you have more than one thing on the go at once? Wow! If that was me I'd never finish anything but start many many beautiful things. It's nice to be able to knit presents - luckily I am not there yet. Not quick/ confident enough & my cardigan on the needles would sulk!

christinelaennec said...

You made me laugh out loud with the bit about non-believers. I am so, so pleased that you can keep going with Seraphine! And your post title is very funny too - as opposed to alternative knitting, I reckoned?!

feresaknit said...

Oh my goodness - you were short of yarn! :D