Saturday, November 19, 2011

FO: Yet another Weekend Hat: The Roobee Ruche Beret

At last - I knitted a hat for ME!

This is the Ruche Beret by Susan B. Anderson from Weekend Hats.



The pattern calls for DK weight alpaca / merino and I just happened to have 50g of Jamie Harmon handspun naturally-dyed angora / wool mix in the stash.  It was a present from CeCe in New York - thank you again Cecelia!  It is actually a searingly bright shade of coral.  My camera couldn't cope!

This yarn was a pretty good substitute, though I went down a few needle sizes to 3.75mm (from 4.5mm) to get a closer gauge.  As a result, my hat is quite a snug fit, and more of a cloche than a beret.

FL took one look at me and said "Straight out of the 1930's!" which I take as a compliment ; )

It was a very quick and easy knit - mostly plain knitting in the round. 

When I finished I was a bit "meh" about its plain-ness and fiddled around with buttons and bows, trying to find the perfect embellishment.  In the end, I opted to pin on a faux-vintage brooch from Joules.  I reckon it adds to the Charleston vibe!

Verdict?
A definite Keeper!
Woo hoo!

9 comments:

ashley0107 said...

ooh, it's gorgeous!! Now I definitely *need* this book! I want more pretty hats :)
I love your embellishment too. And yes, definitely right out of the 1930s :)
Ashley x

Lynne said...

It's fab! I love the shaping, and the brooch is gorgeous. :)

Annie said...

That's one snazzy hat ... love it!

christinelaennec said...

What a beautiful hat! Perfect with the brooch, and perfect on you. I'm glad you've done something for yourself.

CCK said...

Definitely you! love the colour, my favourite! A keeper for sure!

Sarah said...

Roo: Love this!! Is there nothing you can do? How talented and creative you are.

Melizza said...

How lush. You can rock any color. The red looks really nice on you.

I need to hurry up on get my knitting on. I tend to forget I've started something! D'oh!

Melizza said...

Oh! And that broach is beautiful.

Alessa said...

Pretty! I love the color and the added dazzle of the brooch!