Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Lula and Louis? Meet Betsey J!


This is the latest issue of Lula magazine, an expensive and hard-to-source publication which I appear to be collecting despite the fact that I could re-sell my back copies on Eebaay for enormous profit!
Note that white collar.  It turns up a lot in this issue.  Mostly as designed by Louis Vuitton, a designer whom I generally greet with a shrug and a lip curl due to those ubiquitous fake bags on market stalls.  Not his fault I suppose!
There is an amazing LV hotpants-jumpsuit further into the magazine which showcases this detail.  I think the collar may be laser-cut white leather and the main body of the suit is velvet or maybe a boiled wool? It has massive decorative buttons too - oooh!

So when I was feeling a bit fragile and distracted last night (don't worry - it's nothing new) and came across a 1970's Betsey Johnson dress pattern on Etsy with similar features, my heart started racing.  Ooh the possibilities!
It has a front zip and a lace-trimmed oversized Peter Pan collar.

I am thinking navy velvet with a white pique collar and maybe a brass-toothed zip.  Big patch pockets with decorative button tabs?

I would like to wear it to my office Christmas lunch - so there's a deadline to aim for!

Exciting!  A new sewing project to play with!  Now to find some fine navy velvet...



5 comments:

Debi said...

ooohhh..neat magazine! I just love the peter pan collar with navy wool dress/jumpsuit look! Your pattern is fab!

Anonymous said...

Navy wool dress with the little white collar... My vote..

christinelaennec said...

That all looks like the perfect antidote to feeling fragile. I look forward to seeing the results!

Kathryn said...

Wow what a find! Am super-jealous of your pattern. Love the fact that it has a zip down the front. Definitely go for a metal one, I reckon.

Minnado said...

The pattern looks soooo good, such a lovely dress. The magazine quite desirable too! I look forward to seeing the end result.