Sunday, December 11, 2011

FO: Bleeding Zauberballs Man-Shawl

 Public Service Announcement:  Schoppel Wolle Zauberballs are NOT colour-fast!
 So if you plan on making your manly son a shawl for Christmas, it is not wise to stripe cream with red... because what does cream and red make children?  PINK!
 I knitted my son a pink shawl for Christmas.
 The only bits which have stayed cream are the outer edges.  The central section is most definitely PINK!
 Not even the zombie slasher-movie design features can save this from  its PINKness.
Maybe I should leave the blocking pins in place.  Or add safety pins.  Punk it up a bit more?

Stats:

Pattern:  Transatlantic by Stephen West, from WestKnits Two, or can be bought separately (that's what I did).

Yarn:  Evil Schoppel Wolle Zauberball sockweight yarn in Schokocreme and Cranberry.  I used 60g of the cream and 40g of the red.  A few yards of gorgeous golden Yarn Yard silk to crochet round the holes.

Process:  Easy enough once you get going.  Slip stitches do all the hard work.  Be sure to carry the yarn loosely up the side or you will get a lopsided shawl.  Mine is a bit tight across the top left because I didn't realise this until too late. 
I gave it a gentle bath in Soak for all of 5 minutes until I realised what was happening...

Verdict?:
I am sulking.
It is PINK.

17 comments:

ashley0107 said...

Oh no!! Hmm, maybe try soaking it again but this time with a colour catcher or an equivalent? They save my washing every time.
Ashley x

Anna said...

is there not an 80s revival going on still (or are we onto the next thing and I'm hopelessly behind as usual?). If so pink is fine as it was cool for the boys to wear pink shirts back then! It's lovely, great job, and I'm sure he'll love it!

Sadie said...

Oh no! It doesn't look *too* pink in the photos, maybe it will be OK? (Last year my colleague asked me to knit black and bright pink Cranfords for her 13-year-old son, so perhaps pink isn't completely out for teenage boys these day?)

Otherwise, can you whip up a nice quick hat and wear the shawl yourself? It is beautiful!

Urban Rustic said...

Must be a morning of things not working out.I decided earlier on that the jumper I am knitting for my daughter is just not going to work and is largely a waste of time so I thought I would finish the blue dress I made for her.I hemmed it,gave it a final pressing and the bloody zip broke completely and has to be replaced.I feel for you as I understand completely!

kittiesx3 said...

Sorry for the boy but man that is a beautiful shade of pink. Absolutely gorgeous--but then again, I am quite partial to pink.

Annie said...

Oh dear, oh very dear, but all may not be lost ... I hear guys are wearing pink to promote male breast cancer awareness these days ... would that convince him, might be worth a try ;D

faeriecollege said...

Oh no, that's such a terrible pity! FWIW, it doesn't *really* show up pink in the photos...

I don't suppose you could give it to him anyway, and just not mention the pink?

christinelaennec said...

It doesn't look pink to me!

Myrna said...

Can you dye it?

Roobeedoo said...

Ah so many supportive people!
Interestingly, The Girl saw it later in the day and said it was red and not pink. Perhaps I need to employ a lighting technician for Christmas morning.
I shouldn't have wet it. Because The Boy would never have washed it!
I am going to cross my fingers and hope he doesn't question the colour. It's "shawlness" is probably shocking enough!

Joy said...

How funny (from across the Atlantic, it seems funny.) Maybe he's colorblind?

Just yesterday I turned a new black and white zebra print fabric into ... blue and white zebra print fabric. Grrr.

Twelfthknit said...

Nowt wrong with pink for boys :0)

juicyknits said...

Do write what you decide to do. And in case it ends up with the Boy, tell his reaction to it.

mooncalf said...

For what it is worth it doesn't look that pink to me... It looks perfectly acceptable man colours.

sarahel said...

I do feel for you. But the way you tell it did make me laugh. And I love the end result whatever the precise colour.

Susie Hewer said...

I'm sure he's a modern boy and will embrace his inner pinkness ;-)

Daisy said...

A yarn dyer said that she uses Soak to take the excess dye out of her skeins before selling. Thanks for reminding me!