Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Weekend in Stitches

Today I finished knitting my Stephen West shawl project for The Boy.

I just have to crochet round the holes (deliberate design feature!) and block it.

So tomorrow I will be free to embark on another sewing or knitting adventure.  I might return to Seraphine and see if I can get her finished before the snow arrives!

Or make my navy and white dress?  Maybe.

Or knit some Christmas tree baubles?  Now that would be crazy... but not out of the question!

I had an unexpected treat in the post today:  my often-delayed pre-order of Rachael Herron's  book "A Life in Stitches". I have been dipping in and out of it all day.

Do you know Rachael's blog, Yarn-a-go-go?  I have been reading it for several years, long before she became a published novelist.  Her mother died of multiple myeloma.  Strange the connection I felt when I read about that.  Sigh.

FL is very tired today.  He says there is a tension in his head that only goes away when he closes his eyes, so he's been doing that a lot... and of course then he falls asleep.

The storms passed through here without doing too much damage.  We had a sprinkling of snow and lost a few branches in the wind, but we still have electricity and today was still and calm.  I walked the dog up in the top woods  but we didn't see our resident deer family.  There are four of them up there every evening and they don't seem in the least bit worried by humans or a big smelly dog.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Knitting baubles is no crazier than knitting mistletoe, which is what I've been doing!

Anonymous said...

HELLO ROO, I CAN'T WAIT TO START KNITTING LESSONS IN JANUARY. I THINK IT WILL BE SO THERAPUTIC DURING THE DIFFICULT PERIODS HUGH GOES THROUGH WITH MYELOMA, AND A BOON TO THE CREATIVE ENERGY THAT FLOWS BUT AT TIMES REACHES A DEAD -END. I FEEL SO INSPIRED BY YOU, ROO! I BET YOU COME UP WITH SOME FUN C'MAS BAUBLES. WE HAVE A LITTLE LION, A KITTY, A LAMB AND STOCKING WITH A BELL ON THE TOE - KNITTED BY A FRIEND 35 YRS. AGO, AND TREASURE.

I AM SO SORRY THAT FL IS HAVING THAT PAIN IN HIS HEAD - HOPE IT'S JUST A SINUS THING AND NOTHING SERIOUS. SOMETIMES A COUPLE OF SQUEEZES OF A SALINE MIST CAN GIVE RELIEF. HUGS FROM THE US, KAREN

Anna said...

I read Rachael's book from cover to cover yesterday and loved it (as I have all her books). I've been reading her blog for about 8 years now, hers was one of the first that I found online and one of the few from back then that I still want to read. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and my copy took an age to arrive as well...